FA Vase round-up: Woodbridge Town and Hadleigh both bow out

Mark Ray puts Woodbridge Town ahead, but they were beaten 6-2 by Enfield Borough. Picture: PAUL LEEC

Mark Ray puts Woodbridge Town ahead, but they were beaten 6-2 by Enfield Borough. Picture: PAUL LEECH - Credit: Archant

An impressive attacking display, especially in the second half from the quick footed home side Enfield Borough, decided the tie as Woodbridge Town exited the FA Vase in the Second Qualifying Round with a 6-2 defeat at the Queen Elizabeth Stadium.

The away side took the lead after four minutes with their first attack when George Bowman’s excellent through ball found Matt Mackenzie and his right wing cross was swept home by Mark Ray with a first time shot.

Taylor Southgate’s cross was headed over the bar by Ray after 10 minutes. Dale Hammond’s pass found Mackenzie and his cross again found Ray but his effort was blocked by home keeper Nicholas Kyriagou after 23 minutes as the Woodpeckers started the game well.

Tage Kennedy’s shot from outside the area hit the post a minute later but it was 1-1 after 27 minutes when Jamiah Plentie Lawrence’s accurate shot levelled the scoreline.

Good defending by Jake Green after 36 minutes cleared Henderson Browne’s cross. Home top scorer Thomas Opoku’s shot was well saved by away keeper Alfie Stronge after 43 minutes and he denied Richard Ennin with another important stop a minute later.

You may also want to watch:

Opoku’s header was well saved by Stronge after 52 minutes before after 58 minutes Ryan Keeble’s through ball found Mackenzie one on one with the keeper but Kyriagou blocked his shot.

Opoku made it 2-1 with a neat finish after 61 minutes and Browne’s superb shot from an acute angle made it 3-1 after 64 minutes but the away side fought back and Baden Holmes’ accurate cross was headed in by the hard working Aaron Churchyard to make it 3-2 after 71 minutes. Home substitute Waiel Hassan slotted the ball home to make it 4-2 as the home side’s pace and skill always troubled the away defence. Kennedy beat the offside trap to make it 5-2 after 76 minutes and after a foul inside the area by Liam Scopes, Browne stepped up to make no mistake with the penalty to make it 6-2.

Most Read

Fellow Suffolk side Hadleigh also bowed out with a 2-1 defeat against Sawbridgeworth. Arron Bull gave the Brettsiders the lead, but their foes equalised before grabbing the winner with the last kick of extra time.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter