Facebook brings club back to life 80 years on
DETAILS of a cricket club dating back more than 80 years are being brought to life again.
A minute book from the cricket section of the old Ipswich-based Orwell Works, covering the period from 1924-1947, is now available to view on Facebook.
The book was discovered at Ransomes Sports & Social Club in Sidegate Avenue, Ipswich last summer by Richard Bradley, a former all-rounder and captain who also used to be the secretary of the now defunct Ransomes CC.
Orwell Works were the works team of engineering company Ransomes, where Bradley worked in the IT department from 1975-1988 when they were one of the biggest employers in Ipswich.
Bradley, now 52, was secretary for four years of Ransomes CC up until the club folded and St Margarets took over using the former works ground in 1988.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “I have been playing badminton at Ransomes Sports & Social Club since 1976 and last summer I found the book in a cupboard while the clubhouse was being refurbished.
“I saw cricket on the front cover and so I picked it up and started reading it. I spoke to the club and asked for permission to take it away, although technically I didn’t need to as I was the last secretary of Ransomes CC.”
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 3 'It's gone crazy' - Boss of Town's promotion rivals on League One spending
- 4 Andy Angles: Five observations following Town's clash with Crystal Palace
- 5 Popular Southwold fish and chip shop for sale for £850k
- 6 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 7 Mapped: Check the Covid rate in your Suffolk neighbourhood
- 8 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their friendly clash with Crystal Palace
- 9 7 pretty villages in Suffolk
- 10 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
Bradley discovered a treasure trove of information inside the book, with minutes of meetings, fixture lists, season reports plus batting and bowling averages.
He has now decided to share the information by putting it on Facebook.
Anyone with any information about Orwell Works CC can contact Bradley on 01473 611268.
Alternatively they can post any information or photographs on the facebook site.
The link to the site is as follows: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ransomes-formerly-Orwell-Works-Cricket-Club/1018012 16577403
Bradley has played for Kesgrave CC since 1990, and in addition to being the club’s welfare officer and coach, took over running the junior section.
He said: “I was keen to do it because Ransomes Cricket Club folded because they did not have a junior section. Kesgrave now have a fairly secure future because of the juniors coming through.”