Fantastic Chelmsford City fans hailed by manager and ‘keeper
CHELMSFORD CITY manager Glenn Pennyfather and goalkeeper Stuart Searle hailed the Clarets’ supporters after they saw their side comprehensively beaten 3-0, at Crawley Town, in the FA Cup Second Round.
Goals from Nicky Adams, Billy Clarke and Gary Alexander, from the penalty spot, sealed the Sussex side’s progress into the third round draw.
However, had it not been for Searle – who was at fault for the opening goal – and some shoddy finishing, the margin of victory could have been far wider with the hosts racking up 38 shots at goal, compared to the visitors’, who had Donovan Simmonds sent off for two bookable offences, one.
That did not stop the 1,096 fans from Essex, who made up more than a third of the total crowd, singing throughout and Pennyfather believes they deserve Blue Square Bet Premier football.
The club are currently fourth in Blue Square Bet South and the Clarets’ aim this season is to win promotion.
You may also want to watch:
Pennyfather said: They were absolutely magnificent. They travel in numbers where ever we go and always get behind the team.
“We are desperate to bring them success because we have the fan base that would grace the Conference Premier should we get there. They are fantastic and promotion would be just rewards for their support.”
- 1 Community thanked for helping seriously burned man at Hadleigh petrol station
- 2 Matchday Recap: Town beaten yet again as Blues flop at Northampton
- 3 'Loving and devoted' - Family pay tribute to mother-of-five found in park
- 4 'We've got to be better - myself included' - Cook on 3-0 loss at Northampton Town
- 5 DHL driver apologises after 'dangerous' driving in Ipswich rat-run
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 defeat to Northampton
- 7 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 defeat at Northampton Town
- 8 Grandfather-of-two 'died with dignity' in hospice while serving life sentence
- 9 Have you seen this Suffolk pub’s new outdoor kitchen and bar?
- 10 Mega theme park plans 'could add to Essex traffic problems'
Goalkeeper Searle, added: “The fans we fantastic and we can’t praise them enough.
“There was just over 3,000 here today and a third of those fans were from Chelmsford which is unbelievable.
“We are disappointed that we were not able to get a result for them but realistically our real chance of getting to Wembley is in the FA Trophy, while we are targeting promotion so we have bigger fish to fry in the league.”