Felixstowe hold off Ipswich YM Hawks to claim first victory of season
- Credit: Archant
Eastern Counties Division Two South Felixstowe 24 Ipswich YM Hawks 17 Felixstowe were on the attack from the first whistle as the kick-off had several chasers putting pressure on YM and within five minutes the home team had scored, writes Dale Hoffman.
Scrum half Steve Britchfield was first to react to a loose ball out the back of a YM scrum and he quickly kicked ahead and won the race for the touchdown.
The conversion was missed but Felixstowe led 5-0.
Ten minutes later YM fought their way up to the Felixstowe line and with several phases of play eventually crashed over to score. The conversion missed but they drew level at 5-5.
Felixstowe were very quick to reply and Karl Hunt raced through to score a great try, Steve Barrett converted and the home side were back on top, 12-5.
You may also want to watch:
A player from each side was given 10 minutes in the sin bin in the final few minutes of the first half, and Ipswich YM then scored again, converted and drew level 12-12.
Felixstowe had two more players sent to the sin bin for offside as the half ended.
- 1 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 2 'I'll never shut up shop' - Cook on 2-2 draw at Cambridge United
- 3 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-2 draw at Cambridge
- 4 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-2 Cambridge draw
- 5 2,000 patients visit A&E because they are feeling depressed
- 6 Covid vaccine boosters now available at walk in sessions
- 7 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 8 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 9 Town get home draw in FA Cup First Round as ex-Blues head to Sudbury
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
Despite starting the second half with only 12 players, the home side went on the attack and kept YM away from any chances to score.
In the 54th minute of the game Felixstowe just missed the chance for 3 points pushing a shot at goal wide, but they battled back to a good position and Mike Anderson crossed for a try.
Then in the 60th minute Sam Turner followed up a drop goal attempt and a great bounce gave him a try on his debut. Britchfield converted to take the score to 24-12 and Felixstowe were flying.
YM dug deep and came back at felixstowe for the last 20 minutes of the game and did manage to score again on the 65th minute, but missed the conversion. Even so, it was game on.
But Felixstowe capped a fantastic effort by holding out the YM attack to gain a first win of the season, with Max Goodwin named as man of the match.