Felixsowe & Walton get back on track with victory over Gorleston
- Credit: Photo:Stan Baston
Felixstowe & Walton 3 Gorleston 2
Leading scorer Miles Powell returned to the starting line-up for the first time since the beginning of November, to strike twice in the second half and secure all three points for the Seasiders, ending a run of three games without a win, writes Chris Ryan.
Another excellent crowd of more than 350 saw the home side produce an entertaining game to sign off 2017.
Kye Ruel put the Thurlow Nunn Premier league leaders ahead mid-way through the first half, and they looked comfortably in control, but two goals in the final five minutes of the first period from Ingram and Gilfedder saw Gorleston take an interval lead.
Powell’s goal immediately after the restart and a second ten minutes later was enough for the home side to regain the lead, claim their first win in four, and finish the year on a high.
You may also want to watch:
Both keepers were in early action, with Molloy collecting from Powell and Crump in the home goal alert to Pinneiro’s low drive before Ruel opened the scoring in the 23rd minute. A chipped free kick from Boardley over the Gorleston wall found Ruel, who steered the ball home.
Gorleston looked for a quick reply, with Crump producing a low save to deny first McKay and then headers from Lambert and Gilfedder. Felixstowe earned successive corners with Gorleston breaking from the second through McKay to bring the sides level in the 42nd minute. Crump blocked McKay’s initial effort but Ingram following up, stabbed home the loose ball, and on the stroke of half-time the visitors were ahead through Gilfedder, who headed beyond Crump from a corner.
- 1 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 4 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 5 Matchday Live: Chaplin fires Town ahead as owner Johnson watches on
- 6 A140 closed in both directions after two vehicle crash
- 7 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 8 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
- 9 'I've got goosebumps... I've been blown away' - Town owner Johnson excited for first Portman Road game
- 10 Warning of seasonal canine disorder after dachshund Trudie taken ill
Powell headed home at the near post from Boardley’s corner after the restart to bring the sides level again before retaking the lead on 55 minutes.
Francis advanced down the right, producing a precision cross to Clarke on the left and his ball into the area was met by Powell to head home what proved to be the winner.
Chaplin struck the visitors’ bar as the home side finished strongly, happy to see the recent negative run of three games without a win come to an end.
The win sees Felixstowe restore their 14 point lead at the top of the Premier Division with both third-placed Stowmarket and second-placed Coggeshall’s games being lost to the weather.
The Seedgrowers can still catch and overtake the leaders with their five games in hand but having the points in the bag will feel much safer for the Seasiders management with the two still to meet at the Goldstar ground.
Referee: Peter Venables