Felixstowe & Walton United 4 Stowmarket Town 3 match report: Titus Bramble makes debut in thriller
- Credit: Archant
Thurlow Nunn Premier Felixstowe & Walton United 4 Stowmarket Town 3 If these two sides offer this kind of fare for the next 45 league games, then the supporters of both clubs are in for a treat!
The home side were ahead for just three minutes of the 90, but they were the vital three, having come from 3-1 down to grab all three points with an 87th minute winner from centre back Dan Davis, in front of a record league crowd of 452.
Felixstowe’s Jordan Matthews should have put his side ahead in the 28th minute when put clear but saw Duncan McNally produce the first of a string of saves, and they were punished three minutes later when Josh Mayhew latched on to a poor clearance and drilled the ball past Crump from 15 yards.
The home side were unfortunate to find themselves behind after some excellent approach play, but it was all square in the 37th minute when Matthews made amends for his earlier miss with a fine finish at the end of a measured build up.
The visitors’ custodian, McNally, then produced a string of top quality saves to deny Matthews, Ingram and Chaplin before the break.
Stowmarket regained the lead in the 51st minute when Ethan Clarke curled a superb right footed effort past Crump from 20 yards, and just after the hour Mayhew grabbed his second of the afternoon after Garrett had created the opening with a mazy run into the home side’s area.
It gave the visitors what looked a match winning 3-1 lead, but there was plenty of drama to come with Sheridan Driver closing the gap in the 68th minute from Francis’s pull back, rifling the ball into the top corner of McNally’s net.
- 1 Will Suffolk have a white Christmas this year?
- 2 25-year-old left eating disorder clinic prior to death on A14
- 3 'I thought he was going to Ipswich' - rival boss reveals Blues interest in right-back
- 4 'Quirky and memorable' name for new café and visitor centre revealed
- 5 The Ipswich Town players who could force their way into Cook's thinking during cup break
- 6 Police cordon off Stowmarket dentist after break-in
- 7 New Ed Sheeran Christmas song with Elton John out this week
- 8 From Celina to Mariner - the best goals ever scored at Portman Road
- 9 Watch: Celina's wonder goal against Crewe
- 10 County lines drug dealer, 20, jailed for 30 months
A red card for Anton Clarke after an ugly challenge on Chaplin three minutes after coming on as a substitute put the momentum with the home side, and Matthews brought the sides level in the 81st minute, before Davis connected with Ainsley’s 87th minute corner to complete a superb turn around.
Titus Bramble, who signed for Stowmarket on Thursday, had a quiet debut before being substituted in the 71st minute but showed a calmness when under pressure that will stand his side in good stead over the coming months.