‘Stunning’ Fen Tigers crush Colts in KO Cup
The Mildenhall Fen Tigers have one foot placed firmly in the KO Cup Final after a stunning display saw them defeat the Belle Vue Colts 64-25 in the first leg at West Row.
With number one Drew Kemp back in the line up the Fen Tigers – who have won 13 strauight meetings in the league – raced to eight maximum heat advantages during the afternoon with both Kemp and Danny Ayres recording paid five ride maximums.
Although the result may suggest a pretty routine afternoon of speedway, that wasn’t the case with some great heats through the afternoon. Danny Ayres produced a trade mark pass in heat four to sweep past Tom Perry, before Ryan Kinsley did the same to Perry in heat six.
Heat seven was a classic as the improving Matt Marson produced a stunning gate from the outside to lead Ayres and the charging Kyle Bickley, Ayres protecting his partner perfectly for over two laps before Bickley briefing split them off the second bend on lap three.
Ayres quickly re-passed Bickley round the outside to go clear, leaving Marson to block all attempts from Bickley to pass as the duo recorded another 5-1.
Marson’s reserve partner Sam Bebee was not to be left out producing another impressive performance at reserve scoring paid nine.
Heat 13 was another classic as Ayres gated with Jack Smith in second but Kemp stalked Smith before squeezing through the inside for the most classy of passes.
- 1 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 2 The possible candidates as Ipswich Town search for new boss
- 3 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 4 Stuart Watson's verdict: Cook sacking shows Town owners mean business
- 5 'Would get Town promoted this season' - Ambrose reveals his choice for new boss
- 6 Approved town centre hotel will help meet need for tourist rooms
- 7 Flood alert issued for Suffolk and north Essex coast
- 8 Look inside: Stunning £3m home is most expensive on market in Suffolk
- 9 Ipswich Town set to announce caretaker manager
- 10 Harsh or fair? Here's what Town fans are saying about Paul Cook sacking
With the Josh Bailey/Jordan Jenkins partnership producing as well there was nowhere for the Colts to go as they failed to gain a heat advantage all meeting. All that was left was for Ayres and Kemp to seal the deal in heat 15 with another 5-1.
Fen Tigers chairman Kevin Jolly said: “It is feeling like we have created a monster, this was a stunning display of power and skill from the team, it has to be the best yet.
“The lads are incredibly still improving and I do not think we have reached our peak yet. Sam and Matt are providing superb support to our top five who are looking so solid.
“Next week we have a big league fixture against Birmingham and I cannot imagine anyone who was here today will want to miss that meeting, the lads are providing so much entertainment.”
Fen Tigers scorers
Danny Ayres 14+1 (5 rides), Drew Kemp 14+1 (5), Josh Bailey 9+1 (4), Ryan Kinsley 8+2 (4), Sam Bebee 8+1 (4), Jordan Jenkins 6+1 (4) and Matt Marson 5+2 (4)