Mildenhall Fen Tigers name first four riders for 2018 team
- Credit: Archant
The Mildenhall Fen Tiges have announced the first four riders in their 2018 squad – and they’re all between the ages of 15 and 17, writes Phil Kirk.
Supporters will again be able to witness the further development of talented duo Jordan Jenkins, 16, and Drew Kemp, 15, both having already made big impressions on Suffolk speedway supporters during the 2017 season.
Jenkins added over four points to his starting average in 2017 and will be looking to put pressure on the No 1 position whilst British under 15 champion Kemp, who followed a similar path to Jenkins last season, has the potential to achieve similar success as his teenage teammate.
Kemp will be joined at reserve by Matt Marson, 17, who made a big impression during his short visit in July. Marson will be arriving in the UK in the New Year and will be based locally with the family of his mechanic.
The quietly-spoken Marson has already endeared himself to supporters following his heat 14 victory in the famous KO Cup comeback at home to Stoke, when the Fen Tigers clawed back the tie with a sensational three 5-1s in the last three heats.
You may also want to watch:
The awesome foursome is completed by the return of local starlet Sam Bebee, 17, who sat out the 2017 season following his horrific crash at Coventry late in the 2016 season.
Bebee has been doing plenty of practising already and has a full programme of racing and fitness training lined up for the winter months as the popular youngster prepares for his comeback season.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town close out game to secure big win
- 2 Cook proud of players after Town hold on for elusive first win
- 3 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 4 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 1-0 Lincoln win
- 5 Watch Town CEO Ashton wildly celebrate Lincoln win with Town fans
- 6 Lincoln City 0-1 Ipswich Town: Bonne does the business as Blues earn first win
- 7 Concerns as 12 Suffolk landfill sites could contain 'hazardous material'
- 8 The best roast dinners in Suffolk as chosen by our readers
- 9 Ipswich tech firm warns of spyware scare on Apple devices
- 10 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
Promoter Kevin Jolly said: “This has always been the sort of line-up I have wanted to put together and to be able to announce four exciting teenagers all aged between 15 and 17 makes all the hard work and the ups and downs worthwhile.
“All these boys have so much potential and the management team will work with them all to support and develop them during the season.
“I think it says a great deal about the club that these lads have chosen Mildenhall as the place to be at the start of their speedway careers and this has totally energised me ahead of the new season.”