Fighters to battle for trio of titles
THREE Suffolk martial artists are preparing for a trio of title fights – and you can train alongside them at a new state-of-the-art combat sports gym in the county.
Professional Muay Thai fighters Don Heatrick and Richard Gent recently opened the Unit One Combat Sports & Fitness Gym in Bury St Edmunds, the first of its kind in west Suffolk.
And now the pair – along with fellow Thai boxer Jamie Mott, who also teaches at the gym – will try to crown the opening by winning a trio of titles in front of more than 500 fans at the King of Kings II event in Cambridge on April 24.
Heatrick will do battle for the UKMF Super-Middleweight English title, while Gent fights for the UKMF Southern Area Light-Middleweight belt and Mott pursues the UKMF Super-Middleweight Southern Area strap.
“This is the first time that we’ve had three fighters all competing for titles on the same show,” said Heatrick. “It’s great for us at the gym and the sport in Suffolk as a whole. The region is now recognised for producing strong and technical fighters.”
You may also want to watch:
The talented triumvirate have been training for their fights at the new gym, which boasts a huge range of equipment and a full schedule of Muay Thai classes as well as personal health and fitness training.
Gent said: “We built the gym to provide what we need to train combat athletes to compete at the highest level.
- 1 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 2 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 3 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 4 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 5 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 6 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 7 Two arrested after man dies in crash
- 8 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 9 22 Suffolk schools have Covid-19 outbreaks
- 10 Match Ratings: How Town players performed against Wednesday
“But don’t be put off even if general health and fitness is your main goal. All are assured of a warm welcome and a positive experience.”
- For more information visit www.unit1gym.com or call 01284 760468. Tickets for the King of Kings II event are also available from the gym, in Kempson Way, Bury.