Kings of Anglia Issue 10 Magazine Offer

Disappointing day for Sudbury as lowly Witham deservedly take the spoils - Morsley is sent to the stands

PUBLISHED: 19:10 02 December 2018

Phil Kelley, saw red at Witham Photo: CLIVE PEARSON

Phil Kelley, saw red at Witham Photo: CLIVE PEARSON


Witham Town 2 AFC Sudbury 0

On a damp and grey November afternoon AFC Sudbury lost 2-0 away to bottom of the table Witham Town, writes Rory Hyde.

AFC lined up 4-4-2 with Paul Hayes as captain.

It was a scrappy start to the game with AFC struggling to get a grip and Witham having the better of the opening exchanges. AFCs first meaningful chance came in the 11th minute when Callum Harrison was brought down outside the box, the resulting free-kick sailed harmlessly over the bar.

The deadlock was broken in the 15th minute when Witham took the lead with an elementary finish from John Watson. The goal had been coming for some time with AFC looking disjointed. The 33rd minute saw AFC making a tactical change with Hayes moving to defense in a revamped 3 5 2.

The moment that shaped the rest of the game occurred in the 42nd minute when Phil Kelly was given a straight red for violent conduct.

AFC manager Mark Morsley was furious with the decision and was sent to the stands for his protests.

This was the last meaningful action of the half with Witham going in one-up at the break and looking like the better team.

AFC started the second half brightly and were denied what looked a clear-cut penalty in the 49th minute when Harrison was brought down in the box when through on goal. This seemed to galvanise AFC and they came close to equalising in the 58th minute when a great header from French went just wide and with Liam Bennett looking very lively and positive going forward.

The match was effectively over in the 73rd minute when Watson scored an exquisite second to put Witham two-up.

There were farcical scenes towards the end of the game when Witham were awarded a late penalty by the ref only for the linesman to award AFC a free kick.

This was the last significant action of the game with it ending 2-0 to the hosts who on the balance of play were the better side.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the East Anglian Daily Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists