‘Fingers crossed’ that McGoldrick is fit in time for Norwich trip, says McCarthy
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Town boss Mick Mccarthy says he ‘has his fingers crossed’ that striker David McGoldrick will be fit in time for next Sunday’s East Anglain derby with Norwich City at Carrow Road.
The club’s 16-goal top-scorer from 2012/13 has struggled to re-find his top form since recovering from a long-term knee injury and has suffered a couple of niggles since his recovery.
The latest, a thigh problem which has kept him out of action for the last two matches – wins against Sheffield Wednesday and Fulham – will also sideline him for back-to-back home games against Reading (tomorrow) and Birmingham (Tuesday).
“I was hoping he’d be okay but it’s just taking longer than we thought,” said McCarthy. “Norwich, I’d keep my fingers crossed for that one. We’re certainly not going to rush him back and we’ve got Luke Varney in now (on loan from Blackburn), so we’ve got three strikers.”
Meanwhile, Darren Ambrose and Stephen Hunt (both tight hamstrings) have joined Luke Hyam on the treatment table, while forward Noel Hunt looks set to miss the remainder of the campaign with the knee injury he suffered at Craven Cottage last weekend.
You may also want to watch:
“Darren Ambrose has a tight hamstring still,” said McCarthy. “Having played against Sheffield Wednesday on the Tuesday, I think he thought he had a chance of the Saturday (at Fulham) and it was probably remiss of me not to say to him, after he passed himself fit on the Friday, that he wasn’t going to play against Fulham because he came out and he just overstretched it. That’s sad that because he did really well against Sheffield Wednesday.”
- 1 Paul Cook's takeover worry and why he cancelled today's pre-match press conference
- 2 Giant Noah's Ark stuck on Ipswich Waterfront
- 3 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 4 'I absolutely want to be part of it' - Skipper Chambers on Cook and his Town future
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Town linked with Feyenoord defender as Edwards 'attracts interest'
- 6 Closing coastal footbridge will have 'devastating' impact, pub owner says
- 7 Driver goes to court over speed camera calibration dispute
- 8 Family's heartfelt tribute to 'devoted mother' of four who died in crash
- 9 Careless driver who caused fatal crash is jailed
- 10 Four miles of queues after A12 collision