First ever Sportshall honours go west
Suffolk West have clinched the title at the finale of the inaugural Suffolk Sportshall Athletics League.The final match of the winter league was contested at the Denes High School Community Sports Centre in Lowestoft.
Suffolk West have clinched the title at the finale of the inaugural Suffolk Sportshall Athletics League.
The final match of the winter league was contested at the Denes High School Community Sports Centre in Lowestoft. Teams, made up of both able and disabled bodied competitors, representing Waveney, the Rest of Suffolk and Ipswich also competed.
Suffolk West had started the day 28 points clear of Ipswich and widened that gap to win the league by a 72 point margin. Waveney were able to leapfrog the Rest of Suffolk team out of bottom spot on the final day, making home advantage count to win the final match.
The purpose of the inaugural Suffolk Sportshall Athletics League was to provide a route into athletics for youngsters that was fun and team orientated, as well as providing competitive opportunities for athletics clubs in their off season.
You may also want to watch:
Showing encouragement and signing autographs at the final round was sporting champion and local athlete Paul Evans. Waveney resident Evans was a finalist at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics and 1996 Atlanta Olympics. Also in 1996, Evans won the Chicago marathon and he has finished third in the London Marathon.
Evans' appearance comes through Sport England's Sporting Champions initiative, through which sports stars and emerging talent attend youth events to inspire and motivate young people.
- 1 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 2 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 3 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 8 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 More police mistakes in case of 'bubbly and funny' Emma who fell from window
Commenting on the event Evans said: “It's wonderful to host a Sportshall athletics event in Waveney. Sportshall athletics encourages wide participation and is a great tool for introducing athletics to new competitors. It's fantastic to see so many people from across the county here today and a big thanks must go to coaches, volunteers and parents who make events such as this possible.”
Special mention should also go to Warren Special School in Lowestoft who collected 90 pairs of shoes to donate to the Blue Peter Shoe Biz appeal.
For more information on the Sporting Champions initiative, please visit: www.sportingchampions.org.uk. If you are interested in sponsoring next years league, please contact Vicky Tunaley on: 07917233399 or email@example.com