Five-star Felixstowe & Walton show their class but Thetford make a real tussle of it
- Credit: Photo:Stan Baston
Thetford Town 0 Felixstowe & Walton United 5
The Seasiders’ management viewed this game as potentially their toughest to date and for 53 minutes it was just that, with some quality defending mixed with a good dose of lady luck required to keep a clean sheet in the first half, WRITES PHIL GRIFFITHS
But when Scott Chaplin broke the deadlock, the floodgates opened with Max Melanson picking up a second yellow for a late challenge on Matthews four minutes after Chaplin’s goal, and the visitors then grabbed control of the game, running in four more goals without reply to entrench themselves further at the top of the league.
Although Felixstowe & Walton had a greater share of the first half possession, it was Felixstowe’s Danny Crump who was the busier ‘keeper. Thetford’s Glen Shepherd was off target at the end of a dangerous run, and both Dan Davis and Rhys Barber had to make goal-line clearances before Crump punched the ball away, under pressure.
Stuart Ainsley cleared off the line again and Ross Bailey tested the Seasiders ‘keeper again before the referee blew the half time whistle.
You may also want to watch:
Felixstowe increased the pace straight from the restart, with Matthews and Powell both testing Kingsley Barnes before Chaplin saw his shot parried by the ‘keeper but roll into the net for the opener.
With Thetford then reduced to ten men, the visitors stretched the hosts back four and in the 68th minute Francis drilled home his seventh goal of the season, after Powell had put him clear with a perfect through ball.
- 1 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 2 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 3 Car stranded in ditch after crash near Bury St Edmunds
- 4 'There are a million pundits... it becomes tedious' - Cook on Portsmouth trip
- 5 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 6 3,000 children test positive for Covid in Suffolk over 10 day period
- 7 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 8 Suspected drink driver arrested after cyclist killed in collision
- 9 North Stander: Nowhere near good enough at this stage of the season
- 10 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
The result was settled in a 10 second period when Thetford’s Matt Morton hit a thumping header against the Seasiders’ post from a corner on 73 minutes, and from the rebound Felixstowe broke with Chaplin finishing in style to make it 3-0, when it might easily have been 2-1.
With the points safe, Felixstowe played some high quality football,
Francis set up Matthews to add his first and Felixstowe’s fourth in the 84th minute.
But Matthews needed no help to make it 5-0 in the 87th minute as he turned in the Thetford area and produced a sparkling finish.