Mike says: Five things we learned from the Witches thumping win over Newcastle Diamonds
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Mike Bacon takes a look at the Witches 60-29 victory at Foxhall over Newcastle Diamonds.
Normal service resumed
OK, so Newcastle hardly posed the type of problems Peterborough and Lakeside have so far done this season for the Witches, but you can only beat what is in front of you.
Last season the Witches used to dominate early on in meetings and they did it for the first time this season against the Diamonds.
It was great to watch.
Tough first and second turns, good gating, got the deserved result.
Doubters proved wrong
- 1 Paul Cook on social media 'drama queens' and a trip to Gateshead
- 2 Hundreds sign petition to fix closed Suffolk road as MP visits site
- 3 'It's a genuine personnel issue' - Cook on goal errors
- 4 Child rapist jailed for offences dating back to 2005
- 5 Woman receives life ban from owning dogs after sheep were mauled
- 6 Time Team using latest technology to investigate Sutton Hoo
- 7 'Lads have different levels of where they are' - Cook on Norwood and Barry
- 8 'That is the calibre'- Oxford boss on potential transfer move for Norwood
- 9 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 10 'It was horrible' - Shock as woman robbed and assaulted in broad daylight
There have been a few rumblings from Witches fans with the team, up until this meeting, not winning so far in 2018.
Those rumblings were actually justified, even though it no doubt hurt the team and management to hear. The Witches have been poor up till this clash.
But the ability of the riders has never been in question. Onwards and upwards.
Schlein at 5
Rory Schlein was moved back to No.5 in the team by team boss Ritchie Hawkins.
One can never accuse Hawkins of sitting on his hands waiting for things to just improve. He is a young team boss who thinks about team selection all the time.
Speedway doesn’t allow for many tweaks but Hawkins got this one right. Hats off to him.
Cam proves the man
It hasn’t been an auspicious start to the season for Cameron Heeps.
The Perth flyer, who was one of the highlights of 2017, has been anything but so far this season. But against Newcastle you could see the confidence flowing back into his racing.
When he makes the start he is rarely passed. Keep working on that gating Cam and another big season is ahead.
It has been a trying start to the season for Witches fans, but they were in thoroughly good voice during this big win.
As I have said on many occasions, most speedway clubs in the country would love the support the Witches receive.
And their team repaid their faith with a 60-point haul. Lots of happy Witches fans and riders this week.