FIXTURES 2014/15: Ipswich Town start their season at home against Fulham, with Norwich City also visiting Portman Road in the opening month of the campaign
- Credit: PA Wire/Press Association Images
Ipswich Town will kick-start their 13th successive season in the Championship with the visit of newly-relegated Fulham on Saturday, August 9, with rivals Norwich City the next team to arrive at Portman Road (Saturday, August 23). The match against Fulham will be televised live by Sky Sports and will kick-off at 5.15pm.
It means that, for the second season in a row, the Blues side will face two sides that have just come down from the Premier League within the opening month of the campaign.
Last season both games were away (narrow defeats at Reading and QPR) though. The hope will be that this time – with the transfer window still open and Fulham and Norwich still likely to be restructuring following their change in division – Town, who have built some stability and spirit under Mick McCarthy’s management, can take advantage of any uncertainty in their opponents’ ranks.
The second East Anglian derby – a fixture which has been missing from the calender for three seasons – is scheduled for Saturday, February 28. Both of those matches could well end up being moved for reasons of policing/television yet though.
In between those early games against Fulham and Norwich, Ipswich have three away trips – to League One side Crawley in the Capital One Cup first round (Tuesday, August 12), Reading (Saturday, August 16) and Birmingham (Tuesday, August 19). The month of August concludes a trip to last season’s beaten play-off finalists Derby County (Saturday, August 30).
You may also want to watch:
Other midweek away trips are Sheffield Wednesday (Tuesday, September 30), Cardiff (Tuesday, October 21) and Leeds (Tuesday, March 3).
Town play at newly-promoted West London side Brentford on Boxing Day then host Charlton two days later. There is no New Year’s Day match.
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 3 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 4 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 5 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 6 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 7 From Blues to U's - how ex-Town stars are faring at Colchester
- 8 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
- 9 Numbers don't look good but there are turnarounds Town can take from
- 10 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
The Easter schedule comprises of Bournemouth at home (Saturday, April 4) followed by Huddersfield away (Monday, April 6).
Town’s season finishes with a trip to McCarthy’s former club Wolves, a home game against Nottingham Forest, followed by a trip to Blackburn Rovers.
– See tomorrow’s EADT and Ipswich Star for full fixture poster and reaction.