‘Too many are missing... I won’t do it’ - Lambert on postponing Wycombe game after Dozzell and Downes are called up
- Credit: Archant
Flynn Downes and Andre Dozzell have been named in the England Under 20s squad for games later this month.
The pair will take part in games away in Italy and at home to the Czech Republic on October 10 and 14 respectively, during what is now an international break for the Blues.
They join Alan Judge (Republic of Ireland), Anthony Georgiou (Cyprus) and Armando Dobra (Albania Under 19s) in being called up for the October internationals, with the Blues already opting to postpone their game with Wycombe, scheduled for October 12.
Speaking on Thursday, manager Paul Lambert insisted there was no other decision to make given so many players would be missing from his squad.
"We have too many players missing," Lambert said.
You may also want to watch:
"Maybe Downes, maybe Dozzell, maybe Judge, Dobra, Idris (El Mizouni), Anthony. That's six straight away and that's too many for me to treat any game lightly. I won't do it.
"We want to go with our strongest possible hand to play and that's just too many players missing."
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mike Bacon: It's going to take more than 'potential' to get into Cook's starting XI next season
- 3 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 4 Angry resident threatened with arrest over fake parking tickets
- 5 Woman's body found in village home
- 6 WATCH: Rude graffiti highlights 'huge' potholes
- 7 Wigan kitman Craney given Town coaching role by Cook
- 8 Couple were found 'slumped over' on their sofa, inquest hears
- 9 Classic car show to return this summer with new venue
- 10 'It's been a strange few days' - Skuse gives emotional exit interview
The visit to Oxford, scheduled for November 16, is also likely to be postponed due to international call-ups.
The Blues also opted to postpone their planned visit to Rochdale at the start of September, after they passed the threshold by having more than three players called up by their international sides.
Lambert's men returned to draw 0-0 with Doncaster on September 14, as they once again failed to win following an international break.
That draw was the 20th-consecutive time had not taken maximum points after players had returned from their national team. You have to go back to a 2-0 victory over Millwall in September 2014 to find the last post-break success.
Ipswich will likely have a decision to make next month with the visit to Oxford United on November 16 likely to be postponed due to call-ups.
November is set to be a busy month for the Blues, with five games currently scheduled including the rearranged Rochdale and Wycombe matches.
In addition to that, Ipswich will play an FA Cup first round match on November 9 and could potentially require a replay 10 days later. The second round is due to be played on November 30.