Football: Elmden Rovs 1, AFC U15 Blues 0

Elmden Rovers 1, AFC Sudbury U15 Blues 0AFCs 100% record came to an end at the hands of a very ordinary Rovers side, who rode their luck but secured an unlikely victory.


Sudbury opened the scoring when Marie Seabrook was left unmarked at a corner and volleyed the ball into the net.

This goal was to be the first of many as top-scorer Emma Holloway scored two more within quick succession.

Then Natalie Golding fired the ball straight into the top corner from a free kick.

Sudbury continued to create many chances but were unable to find the net until Emma Squirrell latched onto a ball from Mia Bambury to send the keeper the wrong way, giving Sudbury their fifth goal. Squirrell got her second just before half-time.

Brantham appeared more threatening early in the second half, but excellent defending from Natalie Curtin and Katie Burrows kept them out. Holloway scored her hat-trick goal after good work from Seabrook. Jess Casey headed another before Holloway netted three more times, one being a brilliant shot from near half-way. Squirrell completed her hat-trick as Sudbury's unbeaten run went to six and their succession of clean sheets to four.

Most Read

Elmden Rovers 1, AFC Sudbury U15 Blues 0

AFCs 100% record came to an end at the hands of a very ordinary Rovers side, who rode their luck but secured an unlikely victory. On a very small, windswept pitch AFC found themselves with a couple of players missing, but despite this they were clearly the better side and should have made their dominance on the match tell. In the first half AFC played into the wind, which upset their normal passing play. Brandon New looked lively up front and there was excellent defending from man-of-the-match Scott Bayly and Jake Watson. The only goal came from a free kick, well struck with a following wind, which stand-in keeper Brandon Steele was powerless to stop it, as it hit the underside of the crossbar and went in.

In the second half it was pretty much all Sudbury, but they could not get the breaks, or the equaliser. Their task was made even harder when Jack Frost was sent off. The reshuffled midfield kept battling, Dan New working hard throughout, but everything they tried seemed to fall to a Rovers player. A late Nicoll free kick was well saved by the keeper as Rovers hung on.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter