Government give green light for football’s return but insist Premier League must ‘support football family’ financially
- Credit: Archant
Culture secretary Oliver Dowden has called on the Premier League to help support ‘the football family’ financially as it bids to return behind closed doors.
The top flight is hopeful of resuming next month with a rigorous testing regime and no fans inside stadiums, while the Championship is also hoping to restart in June.
League One and League Two, though, appear highly unlikely to resume play for the 2019/20 season, while seasons have already been permanently halted in non-league.
Dowden, Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, met with Premier League officials today and offered the league the government’s backing, but insisted that plan must include an increase in television coverage and financial support for the ‘wider football family’.
“Government is opening the door for competitive football to return safely in June. This should include widening access for live coverage and ensuring finances help wider football family.
You may also want to watch:
“It is now up to the football authorities to agree and finalise the detail of their plans, and there is combined goodwill to achieve this for their fans, the football community and the nation as a whole.”
The news comes at a time when EFL chairman Rick Parry, who has hosted meetings this week which could lead to the cancellation of the League One season, has estimated clubs outside the top flight could be left with a £200million black hole by September.
- 1 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 2 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 3 Town get home draw in FA Cup First Round as ex-Blues head to Sudbury
- 4 2,000 patients visit A&E because they are feeling depressed
- 5 North Stander: Nowhere near good enough at this stage of the season
- 6 Car stranded in ditch after crash near Bury St Edmunds
- 7 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-2 draw at Cambridge
- 8 'There's something missing in this team' - Town fans on draw at Cambridge
- 9 Woman sexually assaulted near Ipswich Waterfront
- 10 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault