Midfielder Bru set for Cyprus move after Ipswich departure
- Credit: Pagepix Ltd
Released Ipswich Town midfielder Kevin Bru is closing in on a move to Cypriot side Apollon Limassol.
We understand the move to Apollon could be announced in the coming days, following Bru’s departure from Portman Road at the end of last season.
The Mauritius international spend the whole of last season on the transfer list after being informed by former manager Mick McCarthy he was free to leave, with a switch to French side Toulouse falling through at the end of the summer window.
Town’s long series of midfield injuries saw McCarthy bring Bru back into the fold, with the midfielder making a total of 10 appearances between October and February last season.
But he was always destined to depart before the end of the campaign, with his release confirmed at the end of April.
You may also want to watch:
Having previously said he would be keen to return to France, the Paris-born midfielder will now continue his career in Cyprus.
Apollon finished second in both the regular season and Championship round tables in the Cypriot top flight, meaning they will play in the Europa League qualifying rounds next season.
- 1 Ipswich Town owner Johnson close to adding another club to his portfolio
- 2 Names of couple found dead in Woodbridge confirmed
- 3 Suffolk police teams to star in new documentary series on Dave
- 5 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 6 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 7 Peter Andre visits Ipswich for post-lockdown haircut
- 8 Goalkeeping coach Walker leaves Town as Cook bids to 'freshen things up'
- 9 Mark Ashton: The 'divisive' figure with a track record for promotion and profits
- 10 All 24 League One home kits ranked from worst to first
A move to Cyprus will see Bru play in his fourth country, having turned out for Rennes, Dijon in Istres prior to a switch to Bulgarian side Levski Sofia, prior to his move to Town.
Meanwhile, homegrown midfielder Luke Hyam has been linked with Southend United following his release from Portman Road.
The Southend Echo says Hyam, who had been with the Blues for 15 years prior to his departure, is a target of the Shrimpers following the departures of former Ipswich player Anthony Wordsworth and Michael Timlin.
Reports have linked released goalkeeper Michael Crowe with a potential move to Preston North End, with the Deepdale side said to be set to beat Cardiff to the Welshman’s signature.
The Peterborough Telegraph is reporting the Blues made a late for Lincoln’s Alex Woodyard, prior to his move to Posh. Peterborough are said to have activated a £225,000 release clause in Woodyard’s deal with the Imps.