Former NBA star John Amaechi to visit Ipswich Basketball Club
- Credit: Archant
Former NBA star John Amaechi is to visit Ipswich next month to run a series of basketball sessions.
The 43-year-old, who played for the Cleveland Cavaliers, Orlando Magic, Utah Jazz and Houston Rockets in a distinguished NBA career, will be hosted by Ipswich Basketball Club at Copleston High School on October 4th after they won a national competition.
Amaechi, from Manchester, will lead sessions with players and coaches alike before being the guest of honor at the men’s game between Ipswich and Loughborough Riders at 4:30pm.
Following the game there will be a dinner at which with the legend will answer questions from club members and fans about his illustrious career.
“I see the frustrated talent around the UK,” said Amaechi. “Coaches and players both, who want to chase greatness, but find themselves fighting against the odds.
You may also want to watch:
“I want to help play a part by providing a bit of inspiration and working with players and coaches in their own towns and cities to spread best-practice. I hope this can become an annual event so that more and more people can win a chance to expand their basketball knowledge.”
Ipswich head coach Nick Drane said: “What an amazing opportunity for everyone involved in Ipswich Basketball Club and our fantastic supporters. John Amaechi is a true legend of the game, someone who will inspire everyone who meets him, young and old.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 3 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 4 East Suffolk village garage to be rebuilt as part of homes plan
- 5 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 7 Derelict Suffolk railway crossing cottage up for auction
- 8 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 9 'Not enough thank yous in this world' - mum of baby saved by police
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
“I urge everyone in the area involved in basketball to attend – this will be a truly historic occasion for local basketball and a true measure of how far we have come as a club.”
The event is open to all - tickets are £15 which includes the entry into the Men’s game, and the evening meal with Amaechi.
To book tickets contact Terry Rigby at email@example.com or 07563130339. For more information visit www.ipswichbasketball.net