Cole Kpekawa departs Colchester United
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Young defender, Cole Kpekawa, left Colchester United by mutual consent this afternoon.
Out-of-sorts centre-half Kpekawa, who can also operate as a left-back, had found his opportunities very restricted in recent months.
In fact, the 21-year-old only made six league appearances in total, following his move from Barnsley last summer for an undisclosed fee on a one-year deal.
His last outing was more than three months ago, as a second-half substitute in the disappointing 4-1 home defeat to Cheltenham Town on January 6.
An official club statement was released today, confirming:
You may also want to watch:
‘Colchester United defender Cole Kpekawa has departed the club, after his contract was cancelled by mutual consent.’
A product of QPR’s Academy, Kpekawa actually made his professional debut in a Colchester shirt, during a loan spell in the autumn of 2014.
- 1 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 4 How it all unfolded: Town grab late point against Owls in bizarre fashion
- 5 Petrol queues worsen rush-hour traffic
- 6 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 7 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 8 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 9 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 10 22 Suffolk schools have Covid-19 outbreaks
He went on to enjoy a loan stint at Portsmouth, and had the distinction of making an appearance in the Premier League as a substitute in QPR’s top tier match against Leicester City in May, 2015.
An unhappy spell at Barnsley, which featured just seven appearances last season, ended with Kpekawa returning to the U’s, this time on a permanent bsasis.
But he struggled to hold down a regular place in the U’s starting line-up, and later found it hard to even make the match-day squad.
Today’s official club statement added: ‘He (Kpekawa) has only featured twice since the turn of the year and will now leave the club to seek regular first team football elsewhere.
‘We wish Cole well with the next stage of his career.’