Former U's star is new Gulls manager
FORMER Colchester United midfielder Paul Buckle has been unveiled as the new manager of Torquay United.Buckle had been at Devon rivals Exeter City in recent seasons, and was the assistant manager to Paul Tisdale at St James' Park last term as the Grecians lost the Conference play-off final to Morecambe.
FORMER Colchester United midfielder Paul Buckle has been unveiled as the new manager of Torquay United.
Buckle had been at Devon rivals Exeter City in recent seasons, and was the assistant manager to Paul Tisdale at St James' Park last term as the Grecians lost the Conference play-off final to Morecambe.
Buckle, 36, was a member of the U's squad during Steve Wignall's successful era as manager. He played a lot of his games alongside Richard Wilkins in central midfield, and ironically starred for the U's in their Nationwide Division Three play-off final victory over Torquay at Wembley in 1998. The U's triumphed 1-0 that day.
Torquay were relegated from League Two last season, finishing 13 points adrift of safety. They will therefore begin next season in the Blue Square Premier League (the old Conference).
You may also want to watch:
Buckle said: “I am looking forward to working with everyone at the club at the beginning of a new era. I have an affinity with Torquay and I had some good times at the club. I think that throughout my career I've always challenged myself.”
- 1 Suffolk-based former Marine found dead after 10-month disappearance
- 2 Film crews shooting new Netflix film in Suffolk village
- 3 Matchday Recap: It rains goals at Portman Road as Town hit six
- 4 Two mega prisons for 3,500 inmates set to be built near RAF base
- 5 Delays on Orwell Bridge near Ipswich
- 6 Overturned trailer causing delays on roundabout near Bury St Edmunds
- 7 Air ambulance called to incident on Bury St Edmunds estate
- 9 Rovers bottom, Town starting to click, key men back... is this the night?
- 10 'They walked into us heavy' - Cook on 6-0 thrashing of Doncaster