Four-some achievement as school prepares for national finals
- Credit: Archant
Four of Ipswich School’s hockey teams will be taking part in the National Indoor Finals this weekend.
The school is the only one in the region to have four teams at the tournament, and one of only two in the country to have that number of teams playing.
The under-18 girls won the East of England indoor title for the second year in a row and the under-16s finished as runners-up in their section.
The under-18 boys, meanwhile, won the East of England indoor title back, with the under-16 boys winning the East region championship for the second year in a row.
All four teams will play for their national titles – the boys at Whitgift School in Croydon and the girls, at Bromsgrove School, Worcester.
Two teams per region have qualified for the finals and play off in two pools of five with cross-over semi finals leading to the final to decide who will be national champions.
Head of Hockey, Duncan Parnis said: “This is the first time in the school’s history that we have qualified for all four national indoor finals, which is an outstanding achievement.”
- 1 Will Suffolk have a white Christmas this year?
- 2 25-year-old left eating disorder clinic prior to death on A14
- 3 'I thought he was going to Ipswich' - rival boss reveals Blues interest in right-back
- 4 Police cordon off Stowmarket dentist after break-in
- 5 Watch: Celina's wonder goal against Crewe
- 6 From Celina to Mariner - the best goals ever scored at Portman Road
- 7 The Ipswich Town players who could force their way into Cook's thinking during cup break
- 8 'Quirky and memorable' name for new café and visitor centre revealed
- 9 Paramedics called after tree falls on car in east Suffolk
- 10 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
“All the teams have put in a great deal of effort, and have continued to train hard to try and capitalise on our success at a national level.
“I would like to thank all the players and coaches for all they have achieved so far, and would like thank all the parents for their support.”
GIRLS’ u-16s POOL B
Worksop, Millfield, QE Cumbria, Cranleigh, Ipswich
GIRLS’ u-18s POOL B
Ipswich, St George’s, Dean Close, Bromsgrove, Rossall.
BOYS’ u-16 POOL B
Ipswich, Whitgift, Rossall, Millfield, Warwick
BOYS’ u-18s POOL D
Sir William Borlase, Millfield, Oakham, Wirral Grammar, Ipswich.