Foxhall farce as riders fail to show
SPEEDWAY fans arriving at Foxhall Stadium last night were greeted with a farcical situation.The Witches' opponents, Reading Bulldogs, arrived in Suffolk without Grand Prix stars Greg Hancock and Matej Zagar, Hancock having missed a flight from Sweden, while Zagar's flight into Stansted had been delayed.
By Mike Bacon
SPEEDWAY fans arriving at Foxhall Stadium last night were greeted with a farcical situation.
The Witches' opponents, Reading Bulldogs, arrived in Suffolk without Grand Prix stars Greg Hancock and Matej Zagar, Hancock having missed a flight from Sweden, while Zagar's flight into Stansted had been delayed.
Ipswich promoter John Louis agreed to lend the hapless Reading side Rory Schlein, who was Ipswich's guest for the night - and Schlein duly swapped from one side of the pits to the other to turn out for the Bulldogs.
You may also want to watch:
It was completely farcical that Ipswich, who had done nothing wrong, had to forego their guest rider so as to make a meeting of last night's clash which otherwise would have been a total whitewash for the home side.
The news was not greeted well on the terraces, and this story is set to run with Reading clearly at fault for turning up with such a weak side. Reading promoter Jim Lynch apologised to Witches fans over the debacle.
- 1 Retailer to pay £60K after multiple food hygiene breaches in Sudbury store
- 2 Man left with serious burns after fire at Hadleigh petrol station
- 3 Photos of suspected stolen dogs released in bid to find owners
- 4 New survey reveals Suffolk's property hotspots
- 5 Commuter faces full trains on line from East Anglia to London
- 6 'We can look forward to the transfer window' - Cook on summer plans
- 7 Community thanked for helping seriously burned man at Hadleigh petrol station
- 8 George Burley: Ipswich fans' dreams would have been shattered by a European Super League
- 9 Rose-tinted reaction to Duke's death was so out of proportion
- 10 Matchday Live: Town can't deal with set-pieces as Cobblers go two up
“We have been badly let down by two riders tonight and both the referee and Reading speedway will deal with them.
“It was a fantastic gesture by Ipswich to loan us Rory Schlein for the night and you do not expect top-grade riders to let you down. It was unprofessional and not acceptable.”
TONIGHT the Witches travel to Lakeside Arena-Essex in an Elite League fixture, starting at 8pm.
The Witches have already lost heavily on two occasions at Purfleet and intend to use Rory Schlein, once more, as guest for Mark Loram.
Arena-Essex: J Kykmakorpi, H Bager, K Kasprzak, C Henfenbrock, A Shields, L Lanham, C Neath
Ipswich: R Schlein, K Jansson, C Louis, Z Sucheki, R Miskowiak, M Rempala, T Kroner
Meanwhile Tobi Kroner has been called up for the German national squad for their forthcoming World Cup qualifier at Abensberg in Germany on Monday.
The host nation face Slovenia, Latvia and Finland.