Freddie Ladapo again on target in U’s Under-21s thrilling draw
Charlton Athletic U21s 3 Colchester United U21s 3
DREY Wright grabbed a late goal for impressive Colchester United Under-21s, but it wasn’t quite enough to secure an away win at Charlton Athletic this afternoon.
And Freddie Ladapo was also on target, for the third game running, in the Under-21s Developmemnt League Two.
Following on from the previous Monday’s 1-0 win over Swansea City, in their first home game, when Ladapo netted the winner, the U’s again put up a good display in south London.
Jordan Sanderson broke the deadlock for the visitors in the first half, winning the ball in central midfield before advancing forward to fire home.
You may also want to watch:
Charlton came back strongly. Centre-half Ajayi headed home the equaliser before the break, and Smith gave the Addicks the lead early in the second period.
But Ladapo turned to rifle home an equaliser from six yards out in the 75th minute, following on from his goals in the previous games at Bristol City (3-2 defeat) and Swansea.
- 1 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 2 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-2 draw at Cambridge
- 3 2,000 patients visit A&E because they are feeling depressed
- 4 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 5 Town get home draw in FA Cup First Round as ex-Blues head to Sudbury
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
- 7 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 8 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 9 'There's something missing in this team' - Town fans on draw at Cambridge
- 10 Detective who trained generation of officers retires after 45 years
The U’s nearly won it late on, when Wright’s superb 30-yard shot rebounded off the underside of the bar and rolled to safety.
But there was still time for Wright to put the U’s 3-2 up, converting a low cross from Tosin Olufemi.
However, Charlton poached an equaliser near the end to deny the visitors what would have been a deserved victory.
U’s starting XI: Phillips, Ramm, Sanderson, Bender, James-Lewis, Gilbey, Olufemi, Wright, Ladapo, Roast, Hamilton.