Freddie Sears hits post as Colchester United draw at fellow strugglers Crewe
Crewe Alexandra 0 Colchester United 0
Relegation strugglers Crewe and Colchester United had to be content with a point apiece, in a nervy showdown at Gresty Road this afternoon.
Both remains deep in relegation trouble, with just two games remaining.
The U’s came the closest to breaking the deadlock, when Freddie Sears struck the post on 66 minutes. His rasping shot beat keeper Ben Garratt, but cannoned back into play off the far upright.
Crewe could have snatched all three points themselves late on.
You may also want to watch:
Uche Ikpaeazu headed wide from inside the six-yard box, following Byron Moore’s teasing cross of 75 minutes, and Sam Walker did well to save at the feet of Moore just four minutes later.
But neither side really deserved to win this one – at least it brought to a halt a U’s run of 10 straight league defeats at the hands of the Railwaymen.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 3 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 4 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 5 Cook will be looking to complete the puzzle as Town host Millwall in dress rehearsal
- 6 Latitude Festival could lead to around 400 Covid cases despite jabs and tests
- 7 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 8 Fallen tree partially blocks stretch of A12
- 9 Ipswich Town 0 Millwall 3: Town are well tamed by Lions
- 10 Biker injured in crash with car in south Suffolk
CREWE: Garratt, Tootle, Ellis, Dugdale, Guthrie, Nolan, Grant, Pogba (sub Leitch-Smith, 76), Inman (sub Waters, 59), Moore, Ikpeazu (sub Oliver 76), Unused subs: Phillips, Mellor, Ray, Turton.
COLCHESTER: Walker, Wilson, Okuonghae (sub Dickson, 86), Eastman, Wynter, Bean, Gilbey, Watt (sub Drey Wright, 81), Ibehre, Massey, Sears (sub Olufemi, 90). Unused subs: Cousins, Eastmond, Morrison, Vose.
Referee: K Wright (Surrey)
Attendance: 4,603 (180 away fans)