Freddie Sears is playing ‘happy football’
FREDDIE Sears is already enjoying a new lease of life at Colchester United.
The ex-West Ham attacker has fitted comfortably into his role behind the lone striker during pre-season, contributing four goals.
“Freddie’s playing happy football,” said Ward.
“I’m learning how I like to play him and learning what we want to do with him.
“Certainly, give him the ball in the top half of the field and he’s a threat. He has good pace over the first five yards, puts defenders on the back foot and is getting his goals as well.
You may also want to watch:
“I think all players are confidence players. We all like to feel comfortable and Freddie is in a happy place.
“As a manager, I try not to complicate his football, or anyone else’s.”
- 1 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 2 Boy, 5, dies after suffering serious head injury at department store
- 3 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 4 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 5 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 6 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 7 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 8 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 9 Why Ipswich Town's American owners won't be making first visit for Morecambe clash
- 10 Long-serving parish clerk resigns from council hit by flaring tensions
Sears enjoyed his loan stint with the U’s last season, even though he only started five games. But now the 22-year-old is set to be a regular in the starting line-up.
“When Freddie first came here on loan, I didn’t use him all the time,” explained Ward.
“That was more down to me than him, because I had Kay (Odejayi) and Gilly (Steven Gillespie). But they’ve since moved on.
“When I brought him in again, I said – ‘I want you to play.’ – We’ve got a good player.”