Freddie Sears on target again but Colchester United suffer defeat at Barnsley
Barnsley 3 Colchester United 2
Freddie Sears rammed home his 12th goal of the season, but it was not enough to prevent Colchester United from sliding to defeat at Oakwell tonight.
Sam Winnall broke the deadlock inside three minutes, to put Barnsley in the driving seat. The on-fire striker managed to squeeze his low shot past Sam Walker and in at the far post, from the right edge of the penalty area. It was a deadly finish.
The U’s responded well, and Sanchez Watt levelled with his fifth goal of the season on 15 minutes, tucking home a low shot from 15 yards out.
United had chances to take the lead, but it was the Tykes who took charge after the break to record their third win on the bounce.
You may also want to watch:
The Yorkshire hosts regained the lead, via the penalty spot, in the 55th minute.
Devante Cole was tripped in the box, by Sean Clohessy’s late lunge, and Conor Hourihane sent Walker the wrong way with his cool penalty.
- 1 Film crews shooting new Netflix film in Suffolk village
- 2 Suffolk-based former Marine found dead after 10-month disappearance
- 3 Two mega prisons for 3,500 inmates set to be built near RAF base
- 4 Overturned trailer causing delays on roundabout near Bury St Edmunds
- 5 Five people injured in 'violent disorder' at Newmarket racecourse
- 6 Delays on Orwell Bridge near Ipswich
- 7 Town sign 6ft 5ins striker as Nsiala, Jackson and Barry all start for U23s
- 8 Air ambulance called to incident on Bury St Edmunds estate
- 9 Rovers bottom, Town starting to click, key men back... is this the night?
- 10 Aldi to open 100 new supermarkets with eyes on four towns in Suffolk
Any hopes of a U’s comeback appeared to be snuffed out by defender Peter Ramage, who headed home from a 71st minute corner.
But Sears made sure that the result would remain in doubt until the end. He ran onto substitute Rhys Healey’s pass and crashed home an unstoppable shot into the roof of the net.
There were still 15 minutes on the clock, but the U’s could not fashion a late equaliser.
BARNSLEY: Turnbull, Cranie, Nyatanga, Ramage, Dudgeon, Berry, Hemmings (sub Jennings, 84), Bailey, Hourihane, Winnall, Cole. Unused subs: Davies, Brown, Treacy, M’Voto, Bree, Lita.
COLCHESTER: Walker, Hewitt, Clohessy, Eastman, O’Donoghue, Fox (sub Szmodics, 85), Moncur, Gilbey, Massey (sub Healey, 72), Sears, Watt (sub Roofe, 80). Unused subs: Lewington, Gordon, Eastmond, Harney.
Referee: Richard Clarke (Northumberland)
Attendance: 9,191 (211 away fans)