Frustrating draw for Frinton due to Will O’Donnell’s stubborn resistance
- Credit: Archant
Norwich all-rounder, Will O’Donnell, staged a one-man show to deny Frinton a victory in their Eaat Anglian Premier League clash at Ingham on Saturday
Put into bat, Frinton amassed a challenging total of 277 all out, just three balls short of the allotted 64 overs.
Former Bury St Edmunds captain, Michael Comber, top-scored with 67 at the top of the order, while Joe Fowler, Merv Westfield and Ishmeal Dar all progressed into the 30s to put the pressure on their Norfolk hosts.
Once Westfield had ended a half-century opening partnership, by bowling Lewis Sexton for a spritely 43 of 41 balls (56 for one), wickets began to tumble.
However, Frinton could not dislodge O’Donnell, the prolific Australian making an unbeaten 91 at No. 3 to guide Norwich to a battling draw. Spinner Kemar Smith sliced through the middle order, on his way to figures of 17-6-53-4, with support from Lewis Catlow (two for 60).
You may also want to watch:
When Catlow bowled James Mirner (17), Norwich were flundering on 120 for seven, and that became 136 for eight when Westfield returned to the attack to dislodge Aaron Watson, caught by Smith. But a frustrating ninth wicket partnership of 56, between O’Donnell and No. 10 Jason Blake (11no), enabled the hosts to eat up the overs and eventually finish on 192 for eight, off 57 overs.
- 1 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 2 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 3 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 4 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 5 Empty shelves as 'pingdemic' takes its toll on Suffolk's supply chain
- 6 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 7 Crash between two motorbikes
- 8 'I am very, very excited' - Town teenager Gibbs completes Norwich move
- 9 New-look Cobbold Stand finished - and what a difference it makes!
- 10 Ipswich closing in on Coulson loan signing