GALLERY AND REPORT: Shrewsbury Town 1 Colchester United 1
- Credit: Archant
Marcus Bean celebrated his first goal for Colchester United, as a weakened U’s team secured a draw at fellow strugglers Shrewsbury Town on Tuesday evening.
These two clubs have now only mustered one victory between them, in their last 23 games, and the U’s win-less run currently stands at 11 league games.
However, Joe Dunne’s injury-ravaged side deserve credit for bouncing back from conceding a third minute opener, to seal a point in Shropshire.
Shrewsbury took just 160 seconds to get their noses in front.
Adam Reach exploited acres of space down the left flank before crossing for Cristian Lopez to head powerfully into the roof of the net.
You may also want to watch:
The U’s had rarely looked like fashioning an equaliser, especially when Freddie Sears hobbled off with a damaged hamstring on 25 minutes, but they did grab a leveller out of the blue just before half-time.
Clinton Morrison teed up Bean, whose low, curling shot sneaked past keeper Chris Weale and rolled in at the far post.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 3 'It's gone crazy' - Boss of Town's promotion rivals on League One spending
- 4 Andy Angles: Five observations following Town's clash with Crystal Palace
- 5 Popular Southwold fish and chip shop for sale for £850k
- 6 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 7 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their friendly clash with Crystal Palace
- 8 Mapped: Check the Covid rate in your Suffolk neighbourhood
- 9 7 pretty villages in Suffolk
- 10 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
Overall, it was a very poor game, and the U’s suffered more injury concerns late on when David Wright hobbled off with a groin problem.
But at least the Essex club could take a point for their troubles.
SHREWSBURY TOWN: Weale, Woods, Winfield, Mkandawire, Jacobson, Taylor, Summerfield (sub Goldson, 55), Wildig, Reach, Lopez (sub Parry, 65), McAlinden (sub Bradshaw, 65). Unused subs: Anyon, Jones, McAllister, McQuade.
COLCHESTER UNITED: Walker, Wilson, Okuonghae, David Wright (sub Bonne, 86), Garbutt, Bean, Gilbey, Massey, Morrison, Sears (sub Eastmond, 29), Lee (sub Monakana, 73). Unused subs: Cousins, Dickson, Bond, Ladapo.
Referee: Darren Drysdale (Lincs)