GALLERY: Bumper crowd see goalless draw between Needham Market and Sudbury
- Credit: Archant
A bumper Bank Holiday crowd of 359 saw this derby end goalless. That is just what it looked like after a first half in which defences dominated and neither keeper was seriously tested.
But it was a different story after the break with plenty of goalmouth action at both ends.
Within the first five minutes of the restart Andrew Plummer in the Needham goal twice denied Ben Thompson as Sudbury started the second half in dominant style.
Needham looked dangerous on the break and on the hour Jamie Guy should have done better but shot wide with the goal at his mercy.
Some desperate Sudbury defending cut out several dangerous Needham attacks before the home keeper was called into action to keep out a low shot from defender Oliver Brown who had joined the visitors attack. At the other end substitute James Baker failed to hit the target when he broke away under pressure.
You may also want to watch:
With time running out Needham created another good chance but Ian Westlake missed the target when he should have tested the home keeper.
Deep into stoppage time Sudbury were reduced to ten men when skipper Sam Clarke was yellow carded for the second time.
- 1 Isaacs call police after quayside drinkers cause chaos outside bar
- 2 Cook discusses Chambers' future after captain dropped at Charlton
- 3 The 20 places in Suffolk that recorded the most coronavirus cases this week
- 4 Missing Stowmarket man, 49, found safe and well
- 5 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 6 Shopper eschew Suffolk's smaller towns to hit Primark
- 7 'It was a tiny step forwards' - Cook on 0-0 draw at Charlton
- 8 'I left the club in a more than decent place' - Lambert opens up on leaving Town
- 9 Barn goes up in flames in Suffolk village
- 10 Saturday drinkers queue for post-lockdown pints
Seconds before the final whistle there was a dropped ball after an injury in the Sudbury box. But Needham were unable take advantage as the final whistle came almost instantly to leave the sides with a point each which was just about a fair result from a game which burst into life in the second half.
AFC Sudbury: Archer, N’Cho, Lewis, Shinn, Mitchell, Henshaw, Brothers, Clarke, Thompson (Baker 73,) Speller (Swatman 46), Cowley (Harrop 78) Unused subs: Fox and Daniels.
Needham Market: Plummer, Brown, Morphew, Driver, Townrow, Nunn, Ingram, Fenn, Guy, Westlake, Wareham (Leabon 67). Unused subs: Cripps, Ryan, Garrard and Munson (gk).