GALLERY: Bury overpower Diss

GALLEY: Diss 6 Bury 50

BURY overpowered Diss on their home patch, running in a clinical victory over their hosts.

Having racked up nearly a century the previous week, Bury travelled to Diss with high expectations, bolstered by the return of club skipper Matt Eddison to the ranks.

On the evidence of the first 15 minutes, one would have struggled to persuade the large travelling support that Bury would be on course for an almost record win against their rivals.

An error-strewn opening saw Bury concede line outs, knock on at will and be caught persistently off side.

You may also want to watch:

Two 35 metre penalties by Beird saw Diss take the lead twice, sandwiched in between a Kenny Eggars try.

In sweltering conditions, the referee opted for a drinks break on 20 minutes and it was clear that Diss were struggling to keep up with the pace Bury wanted to play.

Most Read

An infringement at the scrum gave Bury a free kick and skipper Eddison reacted quickest to tap and go and power his way over in the corner.

Will Martin’s superb touchline conversion made it 12-6 and Bury never looked back.

Bury’s Josh Borley then scythed down the advancing Hall before joining the resulting ruck to ensure Bury won the turnover. Martin then won the race to his own delicate chip over the top before releasing outside centre Gouldie for a try.

Bury managed their fourth and bonus point just before the break, Aaron Waters diving over.

After 15 minutes of stalemate in the second half, a midfield turnover saw the Bury backs go through the gears, engineering space for Borley on the left.

The flyer had too much speed for his first wouldbe tackler and then brushed off the second to scamper in by the posts.

Bury scored again when Matt Bell thundered for the line before being halted illegally. Scrum Half Scully took the penalty quickly and a Martin shimmy and off load saw Eggars complete his hat-trick.

Try as they might from the re-start, Diss tried to force their way back into the game. Once again, the Bury defence was too strong and a quick turn over saw former Diss youngster, Harry Gooderham race in for a glorious try.

The final minutes of the game saw the home side defending stoically against a now rampant visiting set of forwards.

Time and time again the Bury pack muscled their way towards the line only to be thwarted by desperate defence.

Inevitably the pressure told and Eggars collected his fourth try of the day. Martin’s fine conversion brought up the 50 points with the final act of the game.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus