GALLERY: Colchester United hammer Stevenage by four goals

Blair Turgott (far left) celebrates with U's team-mates after scoring against Stevenage yesterday

Blair Turgott (far left) celebrates with U's team-mates after scoring against Stevenage yesterday - Credit: Sarah Lucy brown

Colchester United 4 Stevenage 0

Craig Eastmond scores the fourth goal for the U's.

Craig Eastmond scores the fourth goal for the U's.

Colchester United romped to a big home win over relegation-haunted Stevenage this afternoon.

Craig Eastmond bagged a brace, and Blair Turgott and Jabo Ibehre were also on the score-sheet as the U’s celebrated their biggest win of the season.

It was also the first time this campaign that Joe Dunne’s men had recorded back-to-back wins.

After a featureless first nine minutes, the U’s struck with the game’s first goal attempt – Turgott’s simple tap-in.

Day’s nightmare afternoon began in that 10th minute. The visiting keeper ventured off his line to meet Brian Wilson’s teasing cross, but he spilled the ball while completely off-balance.

There was no suggestion of a foul, and Turgott had the easy task of sweeping the loose ball into an empty net from six yards out.

Most Read

It was the ideal Christmas present for the U’s, and for Turgott in particular, on what was the West Ham loanee’s home debut.

Remarkably, Day blundered again just three minutes later to gift the U’s a second goal.

This time the Borough custodian attempted to punch away Luke Garbutt’s cross, only to miscue his effort straight to Ibehre.

The goal was again unguarded, although Ibehre’s finish was no tap-in – the big man executed a marvellous overhead kick, from 12 yards out, the ball soaring into the roof of the net to chalk up his sixth goal of the season.

And the U’s purple patch was further extended by a fine third from Eastmond on 25 minutes, so making it three goals inside a sparkling quarter-of-an-hour spell.

Turgott started the move with a strong run and slick pass out to Dominic Vose on the left flank.

Vose cut inside his marker and teed up the advancing Turgott, whose goal-bound drive was diverted home by the onrushing Eastmond from point blank range.

The U’s were in dreamland, and Stevenage’s villain of the piece, their keeper Day, was at full stretch to deny the hosts a fourth goal in the 31st minute, launching himself to his right to claw away Garbutt’s delightful free-kick.

Borough should have pulled a goal back in the 39th minute, only for their leading scorer, Francois Zoko, to spurn a gilt-edged chance by heading wide with the goal at his mercy.

Three minutes into the second half and Ibehre burst onto Marcus Bean’s through ball, racing clear of his marker before blasting a 20-yarder over the bar.

Otherwise, the U’s were content to sit back and soak up some pressure, protecting their 3-0 advantage.

And when their defence was breached, on the hour mark, Sam Walker came to the rescue with a superb save from Luke Freeman’s goal-bound firecracker.

Walker was beaten in the 69th minute, but Luke Jones’ header from a corner thudded back off the bar, with team-mate Lucas Akins screwing the rebound wide from close in.

That summed up Stevenage’s afternoon, and Eastmond put the icing on the cake by side-footing home his second and the U’s fourth in the 77th minute.

COLCHESTER: Walker, Wilson (sub Olufemi, 79), Okuonghae, Eastman, Garbutt, Wright, Bean, Eastmond, Vose, Ibehre (sub Morrison, 78), Turgott (sub Watt, 72). Unused subs: Cousins, Dickson, Sanderson, Gilbey.

STEVENAGE: Day, Doughty, Chorley, Ashton, Jones, Smith, Morais, Heslop (sub Deacon, 68), Freeman, Andrade (sub Akins, 64), Zoko. Unused subs: Arnold, Wedgbury, Burrow, Tansey, Tounkara.

Referee: Gavin Ward (Surrey)

Attendance: 3,919

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter