GALLERY: Colchester United surrender two-goal lead to lose 3-2 at home to Sheffield United
Colchester United 2 Sheffield United 3
Colchester United blew a 2-0 goal, conceding three goals in the last seven minutes to suffer a heart-breaking defeat at the hands of Sheffield United tonight.
The U’s had looked to be coasting to victory, thanks a goal in each half from George Moncur and Freddie Sears, on 31 and 77 minutes.
But manager Tony Humes’ first home match in charge was completely spoilt by a devastating turn of events.
Ben Davies pulled a goal back on 83 minutes, before substitute Ryan Flynn stabbed home an equaliser from point blank range just two minutes later.
And the Blades’ comeback was complete when Alex Gilbey chopped down substitute Stefan Scougall inside the box, enabling Davies to beat Sam Walker from the penalty spot to seal the most unlikely of wins.
- 1 Paul Cook sacked by Ipswich Town
- 2 The possible candidates as Ipswich Town search for new boss
- 3 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 4 Ipswich Town set to announce caretaker manager
- 5 Harsh or fair? Here's what Town fans are saying about Paul Cook sacking
- 6 Stuart Watson's verdict: Cook sacking shows Town owners mean business
- 7 Matchday Recap: A replay awaits as Town fail to beat Barrow
- 8 'Gutted to see the gaffer go' - Norwood on Cook sacking
- 9 Body found in woods near Mildenhall
- 10 'We're probably not as good as we think we are' - Cook on FA Cup draw with Barrow
COLCHESTER: Walker, Clohessy, Kent, Eastman, Gordon, Gilbey, Moncur, Szmodics, Massey, Sears, Watt (sub Vose, 67) Unused subs: Lewington, David Wright, Eastmond, Holman, Lawrence, Bonne.
SHEFFIELD UNITED: Howard, Alcock, McGahey, Collins, McEveley (sub Reed, 46), Davies, Wallace, Doyle, Harris, McNulty, Higdon (sub Flynn, 72). Unused subs: Basham, Scougall, McGinn, Porter, Turner.
Referee: Oliver Langford (East Yorkshire)