GALLERY: Grundisburgh defeat East Bergholt in Bob Coleman Cup Final

Victorious Grundisburgh with the Bob Coleman Cup.
Grundisburgh V East Bergholt (Bob Coleman Cup Fina

Victorious Grundisburgh with the Bob Coleman Cup. Grundisburgh V East Bergholt (Bob Coleman Cup Final) at Notcutts Park, Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK on 09 May 2014 Picture: Steve Waller - Credit: Picture: Steve Waller

Grundisburgh comfortably sealed their seventh Touchline SIL League Cup triumph on Friday evening as they overcame underdogs East Bergholt 2-0.

Goals in either half from key stand-out duo Mical Moore and 36-goal striker Dean Tournay-Godfrey left the favourites celebrating yet again.

It was also a fitting touch for departing skipper Matty Cunningham who, after captaining Grundisburgh to success for several years, is now set to hang his boots up. Although their victory was as routine as they come, Grundisburgh came into the game with all the pressure on them after falling just short in the league to Achilles – as well as the Suffolk Senior Cup – where they were knocked out in the semi-finals by eventual winners Whitton.

But Grundisburgh showed little sign of nerves as they proved too much for an East Bergholt side who must be credited for their efforts.

Bergholt survived SIL Senior relegation by the skin of their teeth in the 2012/13 season but under the guidance of David Goodchild, have enjoyed a fine 2013/14 season with a mid-table league finish and now a Bob Coleman Cup runners-up medal under their belts.

You may also want to watch:

The first half proved to be a bit of a tame affair as both sides cancelled each other out.

Bergholt rarely threatened although Joel Watkins was left aggrieved after Scott Fryer failed to pick him out in the middle from close-range with James Carr making a vital interception.

Most Read

And it was Grundisburgh who made the breakthrough as man-of-the-match Moore powerfully headed Alan Mills’ precise 42nd minute corner into the roof of the net.

Bergholt rarely threatened, although both Scott Fryer and Tom Wilson will still be left kicking Joel Watkins’ failure to pick them out unmarked in the centre just moments after the goal, but the forward could only find Adam Wilson’s gloves in a three-on-one situation as the half drew to a close.

To their credit, Bergholt came out of the blocks in the second half in determined fashion as they upped the tempo – taking the game to the favourites.

But it was to little avail, and despite their best efforts, Bergholt never really carved out a noteworthy opportunity until the very death.

As the half wore on and bodies got tired, it was Grundisburgh who eventually started to show their class with Moore nearly adding a second goal but he saw his super effort thump the underside of the crossbar and rebound to safety.

Tournay-Godfrey was the provider for that opportunity and he sealed the game himself in the 85th minute as he expertly lobbed Hammond after racing onto Dearsley’s through-ball following a sliding tackle in the middle of the pitch from substitute Mo Fike, who was a real outlet for Grundisburgh when he came on.

There was still time for Bergholt to hit the bar via James Phillips as well as see one or two close shaves from corners, but it was a case of too little too late and it was Grundisburgh who were again celebrating success in this competition.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter