Gallery: Ipswich Gymnastics Centre’s Four-Way International Women’s Artistic Competition
Great Britain emerged victorious in Ipswich Gymnastics Centre’s first Four-Way International Women’s Artistic Competition.
The home nation saw off challenges from Italy, Germany and Brazil at the Pipers Vale event in Ipswich.
The gymnasts were aged between 12-15 years of age and some of them will be eligible for next year’s Olympic Games in Rio.
The competition was fierce, with Germany in the lead after the first two pieces, showing a really high standard on the Vault and Uneven bars.
The British team also started off well and uncharacteristic mistakes from the Germans on Beam and Floor left the door open, with Italy and Brazil having also made mistakes, despite showing huge promise for the future.
You may also want to watch:
Germany were second, Italy came third and Brazil were fourth.
Meanwhile, in the individual competition, the top girls were very close with Georgia–Mae Fenton (GB), Rebecca Matzon (Germany), Martina Maggio (Italy) and Carolyn Mercer (Brazil) battling it out for the individual medals.
- 1 MoD warns about late-night Apache training
- 2 Couple to bring 'family feel' to Sudbury pub
- 3 Missing 66-year-old woman found in field after search
- 4 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 5 Mystery sculpture of man briefly appears on Suffolk beach
- 6 Suffolk man admits owning more than 25,000 indecent images of children
- 7 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 8 Haul of 20,000 suspected counterfeit DVDs seized in raid at Suffolk home
- 9 Number of schools with extra Covid precautions rises to 12
- 10 Major delays tail back on to A12 after crash
Maggio put in a great performance, taking first place and winning by a whole mark from Matzon. Georgia Mae was third, with Mercer only 0.4 in behind in fourth place.
After the competition, Mayor Councillor Glen Chisholm laid on a reception for the gymnasts which was enjoyed by all of the delegations.
“This turned out to be probably the best event we have hosted and we have made some new friends with Germany and Italy vowing to return,” said head coach and manager at Ipswich Gymnastics Centre, Andy Wood MBE.
“A massive thank you has to go to all of the staff that helped make this event a massive success and to our sponsors Gymnova UK, Plumb Mate, California Grill and Grip Fixings whom without their help this would not have been possible.”