Gallery: Ipswich wheel gymnastics team Torwood Wheelers take part in first international competition in Netherlands ahead of world championship qualifiers this month
- Credit: Archant
A unique wheel gymnastics club based in Ipswich has competed in its first international competition.
The Torwood Wheelers, which trains at Kesgrave sports centre, is the only club in the country which competes in the wheel gymnastics sport which originated in Germany, and is popular in Europe.
Five members competed in the club’s first competitive trials in the regional championships in Netherlands last month, with three taking medals to help the club seal a spot in the world championship qualifiers on February 14.
The club will be hoping to do well and qualify for a spot at the world championship finals in Italy in June.
Oliver Scase, 15, won gold in the junior category, while James Gardiner, 30, and Konrad Kantorowski, 30, took silver and bronze respectively in the senior category.
You may also want to watch:
John Colles, 70, founder of Torwood Wheelers, said: “We have got a long way to go but this is all new for us.
“I was quite surprised because we didn’t feel outclassed by the other teams so I am very proud.”
- 1 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 2 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 3 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 4 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 5 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 6 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
- 7 Matchday Live: Updates as Town travel to The Valley to face Charlton
- 8 Mum-of-three who devoted her life to hospice shop dies of heart attack
- 9 'He goes with our best wishes' - Cook confirms Judge will leave Town
- 10 'I've just been completely average' - Town star Woolfenden on his season and Town's struggles
The club meets every Thursday evening from 6 to 8pm at Kesgrave sports centre. New members over the age of 16 are welcome.