GALLERY: Ipswich Witches tame the Leicester Lions
A 5-1 MAXIMUM in the penultimate race of the evening gave Ipswich Witches victory over a spirited Leicester Lions line-up in an entertaining meeting.
However, the Witches had to settle for two, not three, points as Lasse Bjerre, Linus Eklof and Magnus Karlsson dug in for the visitors.
The Witches got off to a dream start, if somewhat fortuitous. Dakota North took the lead from the start but Taylor Poole cut a more sluggish figure. However, on the penultimate lap, and with Poole having overtaken Linus Eklof, Kauko Niemenen’s bike failed, allowing Poole to pick up second as he pipped Eklof to the line.
Morten Risager grabbed a second win for the Witches in heat two, Jan Graversen sandwiched in between the Dane and Cameron Heeps.
Mat Tresarrieu got off to a flyer in heat three but locked up as he approached the line on the first lap and caused Leigh Lanham to run into him, both riders ending up of the shale.
You may also want to watch:
The race was re-run without the disqualified Tresarrieu and Lanham did magnificently on the first corner to get round Lasse Bjerre and pick up the win.
A collision in heat four saw it run again with a full compliment and Karlsson took the win with Risager second and Blackbird, who came off his machine, third as Rohan Tungate was disqualified.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 3 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 4 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 5 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 6 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 7 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 8 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 9 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 10 Woodbridge 'cheese wedge' site goes back up for sale
Eklof took heat five for the Lions but Lanham in second and Risager in third grabbed a share of the spoils.
The sixth heat was intriguing in the battle for third, North eventually grinding down Graversen to take the spot behind Poole in second and the winner, Karlsson in an exciting race.
Bjerre reminded Witches fans what he is all about in heat seven when, after a sloppy start, he got the better of Heeps and then Tungate on the line. Eklof then took another win in a shared heat eight.
A fifth shared heat in a row saw Karlsson pick up his third win but the Witches pulled away in heat ten, a stunning race seeing North take the win and Poole holding off Bjerre.
The Lions hit back with a 5-1 of their own, before yet another shared heat. Poole came off his bike in heat 13, as the Lions closed the gap to two points.
After a tight battle, Risager finally tamed the Lions in heat 14 and, with Tresarrieu, gained a 5-1 to seal an home win.
Lanham took second in the final race with North, who had an impressive night, third.
The Witches are in action again tonight as they travel to Plymouth for another Premier League fixture.