Gallery: Long Melford win Thurlow Nunn Division One title

Long Melford v Downham Town. Melford celebrate winning the league.

Long Melford v Downham Town. Melford celebrate winning the league. - Credit: Archant

History was made at Stoneylands on Saturday when, after a dazzling display, Melford ran out easy 4-0 winners against Downham Town to take the Thurlow Nunn Division One championship.

In front of almost 300 fans, Melford were so dominant, Downham only managed one corner and two shots on target the whole game.

It was a performance worthy of champions.

After a scrappy opening five minutes, Melford got into their fluent pattern of play.

And it was a familiar combination that produced the opening goal after eight minutes, a great corner from Jamie Griffiths found the imposing Melford central defender Steve Adams at the back post and his header rocketed into the net.

You may also want to watch:

The home team were on the constant attack with Downham virtually prisoners in their own half and, from a corner, Ross Waugh fired narrowly over the Downham bar.

The only first-half effort for Downham came after 25 minutes when Andy Roseblade fired at goal from 30 yards, but ‘keeper Sam Mansfield comfortably made the save required.

Most Read

All Melford’s efforts were rewarded when the second goal came after 39 minutes, a free-kick from 20 yards was superbly curled into the net by Griffiths – a fantastic finish that would have graced any game of football.

The Melford momentum continued from the second half whistle and the a third goal came after 48 minutes, a Nathan Rowe corner was just plucked from under the bar by ‘keeper Alex Jarvis, the ball bounced around the box until Jack Durey got on the top of the bounce to fire home.

The title was now Melford’s but Jules Mumford’s team didn’t take their foot off the pedal.

Within three minutes the Melford lead increased, again the ball found Durey on the Melford right flank, and from the most acute angle the Melford striker chipped the ball home.

The best effort of the game came for Downham after 70 minutes when, on the run, Matt Calvert fired in a fierce drive but ‘keeper Mansfield acrobatically pushed the ball round the goal post.

It was now a stroll in the park for Melford and they stroked the ball around, with no real pressure, and finished the game easy victors and very merited league champions – much to the delight of their fans who thoroughly enjoyed the occasion.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter