GALLERY & MATCH REPORT: Ipswich Town 2 Doncaster Rovers 1

Match-winner Luke Chambers salutes Town fans at the end of the game.

Match-winner Luke Chambers salutes Town fans at the end of the game. - Credit: Archant

Ipswich v Doncaster: Ipswich Town once again showed their never-say-die spirit as Luke Chambers’ dramatic late winner against Doncaster Rovers kept them right in the Championship top-six mix.

Following an even first half, Daryl Murphy headed the Blues in front little more than a minute after the restart and a routine victory looked on the cards against a side still battling relegation.

Tyrone Mings – who had provided the assist for the opener in what was only his fifth league start for Town – tangled clumsily with sub Mark Duffy in the box though and Chris Brown netted from the spot to level the scores in the 83rd minute.

Ipswich immediately hit back though. Mings – fired up by the penalty decision – drove forwards, fed Jonny Williams and, after the latter’s shot from the edge of the box took a deflection out to the right-hand side of the box, on-rushing skipper Chambers lashed home a superb low shot across the keeper.

Town move up to seventh in the Championship table, with Brighton – 3-0 victors over Charlton – only ahead of them by virtue of goal difference. Bournemouth and Blackburn were both held to draws at Yeovil and Sheffield Wednesday respectively, while Nottingham Forest lost at QPR. Reading’s game-in-hand is a home match against league-leaders Leicester on Monday night.

Both keepers made good saves in an even first half, Dean Gerken keeping out Tamas’ unmarked header from a corner and Sam Johnstone at full-stretch to turn Tommy Smith’s goalbound header just before the break.

Doncaster had given as good as they’d got and McCarthy responded by bringing on strikers Frank Nouble and Sylvan-Ebanks and switching to an ultra-attacking 4-2-1-3 system. Just one minute and seven seconds after the restart the Blues were in front, Mings swinging in an excellent ball from deep and Murphy rising highest to head past stranded keeper Johnstone.

Most Read

Ipswich weren’t able to kill the game off though and Doncaster continued to look a threat, especially from set-pieces and crosses. Their equaliser arrived in the 83rd minute after Mings had tangled clumsily with Duffy in the box, Brown coolly despatching the resultant spot-kick.

The Blues refused to be deflated by the set-back though and immediately went in search of the winner. Mings’ driving run forwards started the move and, after Hyam’s strong challenge on Gabriel Tamas controversially went unpunished, Williams’ shot deflected kindly into the path of Chambers – the right-back finishing superbly on the run.

There were a few edgy moments in the six minutes of stoppage-time, but it was Ipswich who almost scored again at the death when Johnstone made a good save from Nouble’s side-footed effort after the latter had been found unmarked at the back post by Ebanks-Blake’s sweeping low cross.

IPSWICH TOWN (4-4-1-1): Gerken; Chambers (cpt), Berra, Smith, Mings; Anderson (Ebanks-Blake 46), Skuse, Hyam, Hunt (Nouble. 46); Williams (Richardson 90+); Murphy.

Unused subs: Loach, Green, Tabb, Wordsworth

Booked: Brown (17), Sharp (17), Meite (44).

DONCASTER ROVERS (4-4-2): Johnstone; Quinn, Meite (Robinson 90+), Tamas, Husband (Stevens 80); Coppinger, Keegan (cpt), Furman (Duffy 76), Cotterill; Sharp, Brown.

Unused subs: Maxted, McCullough, De Val, Middleton.

Booked: Berra (40)

Attendance: 19,496 (398 away)

Referee: Graham Scott.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter