GALLERY: Mildenhall 0 Walsham-le-Willows 3
FULL-BACK Andrew Cusack’s hat-trick gave Walsham a deserved victory in this clash of the league’s unlikely top two, with Mildenhall going down to their second straight 3-0 home defeat.
Mildenhall had the game’s first chance when James Paterson broke through before shooting straight at the goalkeeper but, after that, the visitors took control.
Having already missed two good chances from corners, Walsham took the lead on ten minutes when Cusack planted a superb finish into the bottom corner after his initial free-kick was blocked.
Ollie Hughes was a constant threat for the Willows and the striker created his side’s second goal ten minutes later, albeit in somewhat controversial circumstances.
Josh Pope appeared to divert the ball cleanly as Hughes tried to round the goalkeeper, but the referee awarded a penalty and gave the disbelieving Pope a yellow card.
You may also want to watch:
Cusack scored at the second attempt, after Pope saved his spot-kick.
Any hopes that the hosts had of a comeback after the break were killed off within five minutes of the restart when Cusack claimed his hat-trick after Pope fumbled the full-back’s cross into his own net.
- 1 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 2 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-2 draw at Cambridge
- 3 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 4 2,000 patients visit A&E because they are feeling depressed
- 5 Town get home draw in FA Cup First Round as ex-Blues head to Sudbury
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: J Block gang members and man who attacked train station staff
- 7 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 8 'There's something missing in this team' - Town fans on draw at Cambridge
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Detective who trained generation of officers retires after 45 years
And though home man-of-the-match Paterson soon saw his chip headed off the line, Town were unable to build any sustained pressure. Indeed, only some desperate defending prevented the impressive visitors from increasing their advantage in the game.
MORE PICTURES CAN BE ORDERED - http://archantsuffolk.newsprints.co.uk/