Gallery & report: Colchester United inflict a fifth straight defeat on Vale
- Credit: Richard Blaxall/Focus Images Ltd
Port Vale 1 Colchester United 2 Colchester United boosted their chances of beating the drop into League Two, by recording a precious away win at out-of-sorts Port Vale this afternoon.
George Moncur and Jacob Murphy struck with second-half goals to inflict a fifth straight defeat on the Valiants, and so earn a vital three points in the U’s quest to escape the bottom four.
Moncur bagged his second goal in two games, following his effort at Gillingham in a 2-2 draw at Priestfield, with a calm finish in the 57th minute.
The chance looked to have gone, after Moncur and Chris Porter had linked up well in the box, without managing to get a shot away.
But Moncur’s perseverance paid off as the ex-West Ham midfielder eventually swept home a low drive, beyond the despairing dive of Sam Johnson, from 10 yards out.
It was his sixth goal of the season.
Vale rarely looked like finding a way back into this game, and Murphy duly doubled the lead in the 77th minute to wrap up the points for Tony Humes’ men.
- 1 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 2 New cafe toasts successful first week
- 3 New state-of-the-art army attack helicopters undergo testing in Suffolk
- 4 Patrols 'throughout the night' following dispersal order in Suffolk town
- 5 Harper and El Mizouni made available for loan
- 6 Young driver crashes car just a week after passing
- 7 Police called to anti-vaccine demonstration at Suffolk pharmacy
- 8 Police warning after Suffolk driver speeds at 126mph
- 9 'Two suspicious individuals' spotted on primary school roof
- 10 World War Two-themed holiday accommodation plans at former airfield
Norwich City loanee Murphy showed his pace to beat his marker, Carl Dickinson, and then bury a low shot into the far corner of the net, beyond keeper Johnson.
Louis Dodds did pull a goal back for Vale, by blasting into the roof of the net on 84 minutes, but it was too little, too late, for the Potteries club.
PORT VALE: Johnson, Yates, Veseli, Collins (sub Robertson, 67), Dickinson, Birchall (sub Coulibaly, 58), O’Connor, Brown, Marshall, Dodds, Williamson (sub Pope, 58). Unused subs: Boot, McGivern, Daniel, Campion.
COLCHESTER: Walker, Brindley, Khumalo, Eastman, Wynter, Lapslie (sub Szmodics, 82), Moncur, Gilbey, Massey, Porter (sub Healey, 85), Murphy. Unused subs: Lewington, Osborne, Vincent-Young, Bonne, Sembie-Ferris.
Referee; Charles Breakspear (Surrey)
Attendance: 4,471 (173 away fans)