Gallery & report: Colchester United inflict a fifth straight defeat on Vale
- Credit: Richard Blaxall/Focus Images Ltd
Port Vale 1 Colchester United 2 Colchester United boosted their chances of beating the drop into League Two, by recording a precious away win at out-of-sorts Port Vale this afternoon.
George Moncur and Jacob Murphy struck with second-half goals to inflict a fifth straight defeat on the Valiants, and so earn a vital three points in the U’s quest to escape the bottom four.
Moncur bagged his second goal in two games, following his effort at Gillingham in a 2-2 draw at Priestfield, with a calm finish in the 57th minute.
The chance looked to have gone, after Moncur and Chris Porter had linked up well in the box, without managing to get a shot away.
But Moncur’s perseverance paid off as the ex-West Ham midfielder eventually swept home a low drive, beyond the despairing dive of Sam Johnson, from 10 yards out.
You may also want to watch:
It was his sixth goal of the season.
Vale rarely looked like finding a way back into this game, and Murphy duly doubled the lead in the 77th minute to wrap up the points for Tony Humes’ men.
- 1 Ipswich Town owner Johnson close to adding another club to his portfolio
- 2 Suffolk police teams to star in new documentary series on Dave
- 3 Names of couple found dead in Woodbridge confirmed
- 4 Driver flees after crashing into level crossing
- 6 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
- 7 Mark Ashton: The 'divisive' figure with a track record for promotion and profits
- 8 Peter Andre visits Ipswich for post-lockdown haircut
- 9 Goalkeeping coach Walker leaves Town as Cook bids to 'freshen things up'
- 10 All 24 League One home kits ranked from worst to first
Norwich City loanee Murphy showed his pace to beat his marker, Carl Dickinson, and then bury a low shot into the far corner of the net, beyond keeper Johnson.
Louis Dodds did pull a goal back for Vale, by blasting into the roof of the net on 84 minutes, but it was too little, too late, for the Potteries club.
PORT VALE: Johnson, Yates, Veseli, Collins (sub Robertson, 67), Dickinson, Birchall (sub Coulibaly, 58), O’Connor, Brown, Marshall, Dodds, Williamson (sub Pope, 58). Unused subs: Boot, McGivern, Daniel, Campion.
COLCHESTER: Walker, Brindley, Khumalo, Eastman, Wynter, Lapslie (sub Szmodics, 82), Moncur, Gilbey, Massey, Porter (sub Healey, 85), Murphy. Unused subs: Lewington, Osborne, Vincent-Young, Bonne, Sembie-Ferris.
Referee; Charles Breakspear (Surrey)
Attendance: 4,471 (173 away fans)