Gallery & report: Late drama as George Moncur fires Colchester United into the third round of the FA Cup

George Moncur wheels away to celebrate scoring the last minute winner against Peterborough

George Moncur wheels away to celebrate scoring the last minute winner against Peterborough

Colchester United 1 Peterborough United 0

George Moncur and Sam Walker were the heroes as Colchester United knocked out fellow League One side Peterborough in an FA Cup second round tie at the Weston Homes Community Stadium this afternoon.

Most of the drama was reserved for the last few minutes, following a game of very few chances.

Posh looked on course to sneak through, when Sanchez Watt conceded a penalty as late as the 89th minute.

However, U’s keeper Walker superbly saved Aaron McLean’s spot kick.

You may also want to watch:

And then in injury time, Moncur won it for Tony Humes’ men by slamming home a shot from the edge of the box.

U’s new signing Kaspars Gorkss went straight into the starting XI, alongside Tom Eastman at the heart of defence.

Most Read

Latvian international Gorkss, aged 33, was last on the books of Reading. He has also played in the League for Blackpool, QPR and Wolves (on loan).

The experienced Gorkss, who has twice been named Latvian Footballer of the Year, has signed a short-term deal until January. He flew back into the UK at the end of last week.

Midfielder Alex Gilbey failed a late fitness test on a sore hamstring, and striker Rhys Healey was relegated to the bench, so there were recalls for the midfield duo of George Moncur and Craig Eastmond.

And it was Moncur and Eastmond who registered the first goal attempts, in quick succession, on 10 minutes. Eastmond’s initial low drive was charged down, and Moncur’s effort from the follow-up was deflected over the bar off a defender’s leg.

Posh’s first real attack came as late as the 20th minute. Aaron McLean broke through the heart of the home defence, only for the Bradford City loanee to fire his shot straight at Sam Walker, who saved with ease.

Six minutes later and Moncur was much closer to breaking the deadlock. The ex-West Ham midfielder connected cleanly with a 20-yarder which Alnwick did well to palm to safety.

The U’s stepped up a gear after the half-hour mark. Left-back Cole Kpewaka showed his attacking intentions with a strong run and fierce shot which was diverted past the near post by back-pedalling defender Michael Bostwick.

And Kpekawa was in the action again on 37 minutes, delivering a cross to the edge of the six-yard box, where centre-half Tom Eastman volleyed wide while slightly off balance.

Into the second half and Eastman misjudged a long ball into the box, enabling an unmarked McLean to home in on goal. But Gorkss was back to block the final shot.

The U’s were caught out by a slick free-kick on 58 minutes, which again presented McLean with a sight of goal. The striker had acres of space, but his shot ricocheted to safety with Walker untroubled.

At the other end, the hosts did not threaten in the second period until after the hour mark. Eastmond saw his goal-bound drive deflected wide, following good work by Gavin Massey and Moncur, while Elliott Hewitt’s left-footed shot looped harmlessly into the arms of keeper Alnwick in the 66th minute.

Gorkss crowned a fine debut with an excellent intervention in the 78th minute. Joe Newell delivered a dangerous ball across the face of goal, only for Gorkss

Walker pulled off the save of the match to thwart Jermaine Anderson on 86 minutes. The winger let fly with an angled drive which Walker managed to push around his far post, at full stretch.

But there was still time for Walker to save McLean’s penalty, and then for Moncur to blast home a dramatic winner.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter