“George is a huge player for us” – Colchester United boss Tony Humes
- Credit: Richard Blaxall/Focus Images Ltd
Colchester United manager, Tony Humes, believes that the presence of George Elokobi in the team is just what the struggling U’s need this season.
Centre-half Elokobi, who returned to the U’s this summer, seven years after his initial departure for Wolves, made his first appearance of the season as a 57th minute substitute at Fleetwood last Saturday.
Now fully recovered from a calf injury, Elokobi impressed in the heart of defence in the U’s woeful 4-0 defeat, and is in line to start against Scunthorpe this weekend.
“George put himself about and made things difficult for the opposition, and for the player he was up against,” enthused Humes.
“That’s what we need, and we know that’s what we need.
You may also want to watch:
“George is going to have to be a big player for us this season, if certain other individuals aren’t going to do that on a regular basis.
“He is a huge player for us.
- 1 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 2 First pictures: Which Suffolk pubs are preparing to reopen on April 12?
- 3 Matchday Recap: Goalless again in first game of a new era at Town
- 4 Murder suspect arrested after woman found dead at country park
- 5 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 6 Town's country park remains closed after woman's body discovered
- 7 Driver goes to court over speed camera calibration dispute
- 8 Plans for 170 homes in village outside of Ipswich
- 9 Managing director of popular zoos steps down after 28 years
- 10 'It was a surprise for a lot of us... but these are exciting times' - Gill on takeover
“We had that experience in that position (centre-half) last year, when Kaspars Gorkss came in, and then when Bongani(Khumalo) came in.
“George is going to have to be that experienced one who comes in and helps the younger players,” added Humes.