Gerken becomes a Quaker
COLCHESTER United keeper Dean Gerken has signed on loan for League Two club Darlington.Gerken has been out-of-favour since the arrival of experienced 35-year-old Jimmy Walker on loan from West Ham.
COLCHESTER United keeper Dean Gerken has signed on loan for League Two club Darlington.
Gerken has been out-of-favour since the arrival of experienced 35-year-old Jimmy Walker on loan from West Ham. He has only played a couple of games since the end of November.
U's goalkeeping coach Ademola Bankole revealed: “I told him (Gerken) it is better for him to go out on loan rather than just sit on the bench here.
You may also want to watch:
“No matter how well you train, you can't get better if you don't play.”
Southend-born Gerken has rattled up 104 league appearances for the U's. He was ever-present this season (with the exception of Johnstone's Paint Trophy fixtures) until the beginning of November. Mark Cousins will continue to be Walker's deputy against Cheltenham tomorrow.
- 1 Matchday Live: Four goals in a busy first half
- 2 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 3 Teenage girl allegedly raped on village recreation ground, court hears
- 4 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 5 Kenyan school chums meet by 'unbelievable chance' at Suffolk village fete
- 6 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 7 Suffolk postcode sees house prices rise by £100,000 in a year
- 8 Some areas record twice monthly rainfall in a day - and more heavy rain to come
- 9 Friends reunited, points to prove and more goals, please - Town face U's
- 10 Man in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
Ironically, Gerken could well be up against one of his Colchester team-mates tomorrow. Striker Sunday Akanni-Wasiu signed on loan for Luton yesterday, and the Hatters are in action at Darlington this weekend.