Former Town keeper Dean Gerken returns to Colchester United a decade on
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Colchester United have confirmed the signing of goalkeeper Dean Gerken.
The 34-year-old has been training with the U's for the past couple of weeks following his release by Ipswich Town, with the League Two club announcing this morning that he will sign pending paperwork completion and ratification.
It means a return to the club where it all began for the Essex-born custodian. He made more than 100 appearances for the U's between 2004 and 2009, helping them win promotion from League One, playing a key role in their 10th-place finish in the Championship before a subsequent drop back down to the third-tier.
Gerken went on to spend four years in the Championship with Bristol City, Town boss Mick McCarthy snapping him up on a Bosman free transfer following the Robins' relegation in 2013.
During his six seasons at Portman Road, Gerken made 113 appearances, often having to play the role of back-up to the in-form Bartosz Bialkowski. He was one of seven senior players released by the club following relegation to League One.
You may also want to watch:
U's boss John McGreal needed a new experienced keeper following Rene Gilmartin's move to Bristol City.
Town and Colchester meet in a friendly at the Jobserve Community Stadium this Friday, the two clubs also facing each other in the group stages of the EFL Trophy in the week commencing November 11.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 3 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 4 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 5 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 6 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 7 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 8 Thunderstorm warning issued in Suffolk as heavy rain forecast
- 9 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 10 Familiar faces galore, 'Chequebook FC' and the start of something big? - Town head to Portsmouth
Gerken is set to make his first U's outing in more than a decade today in a friendly at Welsh side Cefn Druids.