Gilbey insists he wants to stay with U’s
Alex Gilbey has spoken about his desire to stay at Colchester United, and see his career flourish under Joe Dunne.
Talented midfielder Gilbey has stalled over signing a new contract with the U’s – his current deal expires next summer.
But the 18-year-old is adamant that he wants to stay at the League One club.
“I’m really happy at Colchester United, this is where I want to be,” insisted Gilbey, following Saturday’s 3-0 home defeat to Wolves.
“I want to be at Colchester, playing under this gaffer (Joe Dunne).
You may also want to watch:
“I leave all the contract talk to other people. I just want to play for this club and play for this gaffer, so that’s where I will be.
“His (Dunne’s) style of play really suits me. As a young lad I always looked up to him, and now I am playing for him and playing the way he wants is really good.
- 1 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 2 Hunt for Victoria Hall's killer takes another twist
- 3 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 4 'From the outside it looks silly' - Chaplin on why he dropped down for Town
- 5 Cardinal Park taped off as man suffers stab wounds
- 6 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 7 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 8 Town Transfer Talk: Ten in, but how many more are on the way?
- 9 Town bosses on 'Chequebook FC' nickname, Premier League timeframe and more
- 10 Woodbridge 'cheese wedge' site goes back up for sale
“He gives us younger players a chance, people like Freddie (Ladapo), Sammy (Szmondics), Conor (Hubble) and myself.
“You’ve juts got to be confident, as a youngster, because he will give you your chance,” added Gilbey.
See today’s East Anglian Daily Times newspaper for more quotes from Alex Gilbey, plus a report and reaction from the 3-0 defeat at Wolves