Gillingham to take Sam Newson on trial
NEEDHAM Market striker Sam Newson is to have trial with League Two side Gillingham.
Newson, who has been in prolific form this season, will travel down to Kent on Sunday and spend the next four days on trial before returning after training on Thursday.
The 23-year-old has netted 29 times already this season, including 21 in Division One North of the Ryman League, although he drew a blank as Needham drew 0-0 at Harlow Town last night.
Andy Gould, Needham Market’s director of football, said today: “Gillingham’s player-coach Nicky Southall made contact with us and said they would like to speak to Sam.
“They would like Sam to join them for a period where they can have a closer look at him to see if he can make the step up to that level.
You may also want to watch:
“We feel we are doing the right thing for the player, although our objectives as a football club remain unchanged.
“It is a great opportunity for the player, and it would be wrong of Needham Market as a football club to stand in his way.
- 1 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 4 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 5 New shop for farm that focuses on mental health
- 6 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 7 From obscurity to a nailed-on starter - Donacien's remarkable Town journey
- 8 Large cannabis farm discovered in property near Suffolk-Essex border
- 9 Nsiala on his injury return, a rollercoaster Town career and 'hugging it out' with boss Cook
- 10 'It was always going to be' - Cook confirms Morsy as Town's club captain
“If Gillingham are keen to take him we will then open discussions because he is contractually tied to us.”
Newson, who scored 25 goals last season after joining Needham from Stanway Rovers, will miss the Marketmen’s Alan Boon Cup fourth round tie at home to Suffolk rivals AFC Sudbury next Tuesday.