Goalkeeper scores injury-time equaliser as Needham Market go top of Ryman Premier League
Goalkeeper Danny Gay scored a dramatic last-gasp equaliser to earn Needham Market a point at Canvey Island and send the Marketmen to the top of the Ryman Premier League on Tuesday evening.
Gay struck in the fourth minute of injury time as Mark Morsley’s men fought back from a goal down to leapfrog Suffolk rivals Leiston at the top of the table.
Former Canvey striker John Sands had earlier given Needham a sixth-minute lead, before Joel May scored at the second attempt after Gay had saved his initial spot kick.
Harrison Chatting then put the Essex side into the lead before Gay’s late, late intervention.
Leiston have the chance to go back to the top tonight with a point at Grays Athletic.
You may also want to watch:
In Division One North, Maldon & Tiptree went to the top of the table on goal difference with a 2-1 home victory over Thamesmead, thanks to goals from Tyler Brampton and Liam Nash.
That came after previous leaders Bury Town suffered a shock 2-1 home defeat to VCD Athletic, Luke Read scoring the Blues’ goal.
- 1 13 Fire engines attend blaze at sugar beet factory
- 2 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 3 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 4 'One of the favourites for the division' - Fleetwood boss Grayson on Town
- 5 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 6 A14 reopens after one person taken to hospital following crash
- 7 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 8 North Stander: Norwich will be back in Championship - can we join them?
- 9 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 10 Five floating restaurants to visit in Suffolk
Brightlingsea Regent and hosts Heybridge Swifts shared a 2-2 draw while a Nathan Koranteng goal was not enough to stop Witham Town suffering a 2-1 defeat at Tilbury.