Joy for golf and tennis fans as their sports look set for return next month
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Golf and tennis fans will be delighted to hear that their sports could be among the first to return after lockdown - as early as next month.
Prime Minster Boris Johnson is set to unveil his 'roadmap' of a slow release of lockdown measures next week, and bringing back the 'rule of six' for outdoor gatherings could enable golf and tennis to return.
The rules would likely allow for the resumption of outdoor individual sports and those where competitors do not come into close contact with each other.
A new report in the Sunday Times stated this week that two-ball golf will return in England in late March.
Golf and tennis have both been banned during the lockdown but could be among the first to resume.
English golf courses have been in full lockdown since early January, while golf courses in Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland since December. Golf is currently permitted in Scotland, but only under restrictions.
- 1 Man dies following collision on A12
- 2 'Cook changes it for Ipswich... I never thought it would happen for them before' - Gillingham boss Evans
- 3 Mouldy scone leads to bakery firm being fined £9k for hygiene breaches
- 4 'I have a clear style of play... that will be evident from day one' - Cook on Town's identity
- 5 'Landmark' refusal of 18 homes in Suffolk village aided by community
- 6 A134 to close for resurfacing works taking drivers on 4-mile diversion
- 7 Filming for new TV detective thriller to take place in Suffolk
- 8 New collision beams 'catching drivers out' at Suffolk's 'most bashed' bridge
- 9 Owner on 'sad' decision to close popular restaurant
- 10 'We've got to aim for the stars' - New boss Cook on his Ipswich Town ambitions